OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a purple firefish that is doing great... hiding in the rocks until feeding.

Kids are saying “ Papi, you lying.. we have no fish..”. :(

Next up is adding some chaeto and working on getting these wires under control.

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Attacked the wires..

Before:
fb7e6784290301b8685b59a53d45cbfc.jpg

After:
5a00b494b2916c8843e5c669bd8f54de.jpg
a5cc7873a99593f16300529e2ba437b9.jpg

Pleased how it came out. If I get an apex, will probably move out the energy bar a little.

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your setup, it looks good. I’m gonna follow your lead and order the same sump for my 170. Is there enough room to mount a BRS reactor on the side where your eco tech drivers are mounted? I’m thinking of trying to install a manifold

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your setup, it looks good. I’m gonna follow your lead and order the same sump for my 170. Is there enough room to mount a BRS reactor on the side where your eco tech drivers are mounted? I’m thinking of trying to install a manifold

Absolutely. There is plenty of room on either side, and don’t forget there is always the ceiling of the cabinet too. Julian makes wonderful stuff, you won’t be disappointed!

The sump is taller than the OEM on, so a manifold would be a little tricky, but probably doable... what would you want to run off your manifold? I am running Carbon now in a mess bag in the media tray and have chaeto in my fug area. Need to check my nutrients soon, but pleased so far

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. There is plenty of room on either side, and don’t forget there is always the ceiling of the cabinet too. Julian makes wonderful stuff, you won’t be disappointed!

The sump is taller than the OEM on, so a manifold would be a little tricky, but probably doable... what would you want to run off your manifold? I am running Carbon now in a mess bag in the media tray and have chaeto in my fug area. Need to check my nutrients soon, but pleased so far

I have a small ikea cabinet that I plan to mount the controller and electronics and mount a carbon reactor on the side of the cabinet. The manifold will be small, just 1 or possibly 2 tees.

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small ikea cabinet that I plan to mount the controller and electronics and mount a carbon reactor on the side of the cabinet. The manifold will be small, just 1 or possibly 2 tees.

That sounds like a plan. You should be good to go!

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of the cable management. Ordered a CRS RSR250 as well then I saw this thread and how it left zero room for cables or anything else and immediately ran to my cabinet and started drawing plans. Im guessing you're using 3M double side foam tape to keep everything up on the walls? I wanted to go that route over drilling into such a nice cabinet but worried about the pain it will be to re-arrange anything if I use the tape.

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of the cable management. Ordered a CRS RSR250 as well then I saw this thread and how it left zero room for cables or anything else and immediately ran to my cabinet and started drawing plans. Im guessing you're using 3M double side foam tape to keep everything up on the walls? I wanted to go that route over drilling into such a nice cabinet but worried about the pain it will be to re-arrange anything if I use the tape.

Yep.. i have done this several times on multiple tanks. If i moved things, I just used a putty knife to get behind the tape without issue.. You should have no problem.. just get creative. The PITA of getting all the wiring and equipment is well worth having the added water volume in the sump.

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

We are in the “ugly” stage of the program... everything is doing well. Skimmer is breaking in just fine.

Still trying to find a good way to do WC since I was doing awc. Do about 7 gallons a week.

be17793198a495a1a5da61bfb409e4c6.jpg

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

We are in the “ugly” stage of the program... everything is doing well. Skimmer is breaking in just fine.

Still trying to find a good way to do WC since I was doing awc. Do about 7 gallons a week.

be17793198a495a1a5da61bfb409e4c6.jpg

I'm running a check valve on my return so when I turn off my pump I don't get any back siphoning and I'll drain my sump and replace that. I use a small pump to get the water out and refilled which makes it about a 3 minute water change from turning off the pump to back on.

OP
OP
bizacon

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a check valve on my return so when I turn off my pump I don't get any back siphoning and I'll drain my sump and replace that. I use a small pump to get the water out and refilled which makes it about a 3 minute water change from turning off the pump to back on.

Nice... I have my refuge running and have some nice growth already with my chaeto and other wonderful stuff, so I don’t want to mess with draining my sump. I think I am just making excuses so I can start awc again :)

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice... I have my refuge running and have some nice growth already with my chaeto and other wonderful stuff, so I don’t want to mess with draining my sump. I think I am just making excuses so I can start awc again :)

I agree that AWC are the best thing ever but with how little room there is in these cabinets it would all have to be external and I definitely don't have any room around my tank for that but if I did I would just run perestaltic pumps running 12hrs a night one pump to pull from the overflow and another to add into the sump return.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back