Bacteria in a bottle, Myth or Fact

Which bottle bacteria in your personal experience worked for you in a sterile tank.

• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the online calc indicate to use one mil in the tank for your gallonage

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok perfect. Glad we didn’t dose until the meter accepted the change, maybe that’s everyone’s eight ppm ammonia alert post not sure. can you test fifteen mins after, see if there’s a delay maybe. If your kit can’t read known +.5 ppm then I’m not sure how valid it will be as a cycle ump.

I say we add some fish.

not because we assume your reef isn’t ready and it would be mean

but because at sixty days that’s fifty past ammonia control on a cycling chart, and the ammonia you added is now gone, and the charts seem to say it’s ready and we don’t have a reasonable test kit.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good. It said you’d added a mil then the yellow pic was below it.

Msteven1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious for api pic after adding
I’m reading between .25 and .5 ppm. Should I add another .5 ml?
79698C12-3FD3-49B1-A82C-75D4BA30E7A6.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No let’s leave it, this system wasn’t built up strongly like the rest, so the test needs to be low level nothing like bottle bac stress.
That your surface area is over done like normal (rocks and sand) and the setup spans out the thin veneer of bacteria right in the line of flow, it will carry fish life and fish feed and waste in the tank to some degree.

testing that without fish, non digitally, can be tricky.

no matter how far we dig, there’s no info on unassisted marine cycles so this is neat to see. That test looks nice for sure.

lets see if in 48 hours it can move or not. We aren’t out of the woods no matter what at that point, about half a million reef owners actively state api shows some green at all sample times.

its the over reporting of actual nitrification that seems to be at work, your specific color shown above is found in many running reefs on api it’s a very tricky ref sometimes. 48 hours is a good start.

At any time those kits showing light green in api posts can test ro water and get yellow, it’s the active nitrification that seems to be a recurring issue in reporting correctly. the blank runs are always yellow.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that thread shows api working well though as a reference, as Dr Reef too was able to show. That’s a reasonable color above you showed to expect some movement down in 48 hours not 24, these don’t have to meet the same specs as bottle bac to carry a couple starter fish like normal. In this case here api was very accurate.

Msteven1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No let’s leave it, this system wasn’t built up strongly like the rest, so the test needs to be low level nothing like bottle bac stress.
That your surface area is over done like normal (rocks and sand) and the setup spans out the thin veneer of bacteria right in the line of flow, it will carry fish life and fish feed and waste in the tank to some degree.

testing that without fish, non digitally, can be tricky.

no matter how far we dig, there’s no info on unassisted marine cycles so this is neat to see. That test looks nice for sure.

lets see if in 48 hours it can move or not. We aren’t out of the woods no matter what at that point, about half a million reef owners actively state api shows some green at all sample times.

its the over reporting of actual nitrification that seems to be at work, your specific color shown above is found in many running reefs on api it’s a very tricky ref sometimes. 48 hours is a good start.

At any time those kits showing light green in api posts can test ro water and get yellow, it’s the active nitrification that seems to be a recurring issue in reporting correctly. the blank runs are always yellow.
I’ll check tomorrow and Monday.

One interesting piece of info is the amount of phosphate. Does it prove leeching from rock, no, but it does indicate the need for removal prior to lights on.

GFO? 100% water changes? I’m not in a hurry this time.

I wish not to go through the strip cleaning and peroxide treatments of my past tank. Yes Brandon, I’m familiar with your strip clean threads lol.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fun in reefing is trying to avoid them heh

i havent ever given any thought to phosphate all I know is the caveman mode, and to build aquascapes that are able to be lifted out.

once we figure out the balance between dinos and whatever else without deep cleaning as a backup that’ll be an awesome time.

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my nano I did it the old fashioned way, just live rock and some live sand from the LFS. It worked well but it took a long time.

The tank I set up last year I used Fritz Zyme 9. I do think it helped but it was in a delicate balance for a while. I think it helped speed things up but I don’t think it was a magic cycle. I would use it or something similar again though.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is a very important post. @Dan_P why is api not picking that up

also I didn’t check the online calc

did it say to input only one mil given your volu

Which post #’s should I read to understand what sample was tested that gave an unexpected result. I tried a quick scan but failed to follow the story.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fault it was a bad flag event :) thank you for checking though. He posted a reading I thought was after a dosing of ammonia and showed none. But his post-dose pic made the api respond exactly right, calibrated against known zero condition. Very precise so far

*do api kits require TAN conversion like Red Sea does or are they different types / total ammonia readers

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fault it was a bad flag event :) thank you for checking though. He posted a reading I thought was after a dosing of ammonia and showed none. But his post-dose pic made the api respond exactly right, calibrated against known zero condition. Very precise so far

*do api kits require TAN conversion like Red Sea does or are they different types / total ammonia readers
Unless a kit like Seachem or instrument like Seneye specifically states that it measures free ammonia, i.e., NH3, the kit measures total ammonia, NH3+NH4, and the result must be converted to NH3 by consulting a table.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen that documented in twenty years of daily online reefing. Unassisted cycling happens sooner than your time frame, tbd, but I'd have bet the farm it'd take ninety days. I'm so happy to see that

Cycling charts were written for freshwater

You're providing data for a saltwater one the hobby doesn't have yet

Msteven1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for more information. I waited 5 min per instructions for the 24 hour picture.

here is color after waiting 20 minutes

73A06C31-CF41-4A9E-A5C7-F6405611DEC8.jpeg

Is there a a maximum time limit to API tests? Definite change in color, but still shows movement compared to yesterday.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back