Bacteria infection in QT

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one small anthias is showing a small lump. Would there be any harm in putting the other fish in my DT without treating them prophylactically for an infection? I’m so close to completing my copper treatment.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one small anthias is showing a small lump. Would there be any harm in putting the other fish in my DT without treating them prophylactically for an infection? I’m so close to completing my copper treatment.
Any pictures to confirm its a bacterial infection and not something like lymphocystis?

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pictures to confirm its a bacterial infection and not something like lymphocystis?

She’s really thin and has a small lump towards her tail.

811B377F-D9C4-4B40-9CC7-B626C1FCE1BA.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close are you to finishing the copper treatment. It's better to not mix meds with copper if possible. You can but at risk to the fish.

If a fish has a bacterial infection, there is bacteria in the water column. You run a risk of carrying the bacteria into the DT. Some would suggest preparing a bath of Acriflavine (or Ruby Reef Rally), bathe the healthy fish, and then move them directly into the DT. Then use the same bath for the fish with the bacterial infection. Next place the infected fish into the QT and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic for 10 days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close are you to finishing the copper treatment. It's better to not mix meds with copper if possible. You can but at risk to the fish.

If a fish has a bacterial infection, there is bacteria in the water column. You run a risk of carrying the bacteria into the DT. Some would suggest preparing a bath of Acriflavine (or Ruby Reef Rally), bathe the healthy fish, and then move them directly into the DT. Then use the same bath for the fish with the bacterial infection. Next place the infected fish into the QT and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic for 10 days.

I have about a week to go in copper. So I’ll wait until then. Any links on how to do the bath? So after copper place them in a bath then transfer to DT. Is it like 5 mins or is in the QT after I remove copper?

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acriflavine-ms is very difficult to find nowadays. I sometimes wonder if I bought the last bottle on the internet lol. Ruby Reef Rally can be found at most lfs and amazon

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a week to go in copper. So I’ll wait until then. Any links on how to do the bath? So after copper place them in a bath then transfer to DT. Is it like 5 mins or is in the QT after I remove copper?

75-90 minutes in the bath (bucket) then into the DT. From Humblefish's treatment advisory.

Acriflavine: This is an antiseptic that is very useful for rendering “first aid” if a fish has a bacterial infection or to treat an open wound. It can also be used as part of a “three step program” for treating Marine Velvet Disease: 5 minute freshwater dip, 75-90 minute acriflavine bath, and then prolonged exposure to copper or Chloroquine phosphate in a Quarantine Tank (QT).

There is also some anecdotal evidence that a 75-90 minute acriflavine bath, followed by transfer into a sterile Quarantine Tank can clear Brooklynella aka clownfish disease. However, until more research is done it is recommended to follow up the acriflavine bath by treating with metronidazole in the Quarantine Tank.

How To Treat – At present time there are two products on the market which contain acriflavine (dosage information below). Use either in a 75-90 minute bath, temperature controlling the water and providing plenty of aeration by using an air pump & air-stone. Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of bath & QT water match perfectly.

Acriflavine-MS: Add 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water.

Ruby Reef Rally: Add 1 ounce per 10 gallons of water. This breaks down to roughly 2/3 teaspoon of Rally per gallon if using less than 10 gallons.

Pros – Effective “pre-treatment” before fish is placed in QT with copper, antibiotics, etc.; milder/safer alternative to using formalin.

Cons/Side Effects – Turns the water an orange-brownish color, so probably not desirable for Quarantine or Display Tank use. Full range of positive effects and possible side effects are not completely understood at this time.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75-90 minutes in the bath (bucket) then into the DT. From Humblefish's treatment advisory.

Acriflavine: This is an antiseptic that is very useful for rendering “first aid” if a fish has a bacterial infection or to treat an open wound. It can also be used as part of a “three step program” for treating Marine Velvet Disease: 5 minute freshwater dip, 75-90 minute acriflavine bath, and then prolonged exposure to copper or Chloroquine phosphate in a Quarantine Tank (QT).

There is also some anecdotal evidence that a 75-90 minute acriflavine bath, followed by transfer into a sterile Quarantine Tank can clear Brooklynella aka clownfish disease. However, until more research is done it is recommended to follow up the acriflavine bath by treating with metronidazole in the Quarantine Tank.

How To Treat – At present time there are two products on the market which contain acriflavine (dosage information below). Use either in a 75-90 minute bath, temperature controlling the water and providing plenty of aeration by using an air pump & air-stone. Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of bath & QT water match perfectly.

Acriflavine-MS: Add 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water.

Ruby Reef Rally: Add 1 ounce per 10 gallons of water. This breaks down to roughly 2/3 teaspoon of Rally per gallon if using less than 10 gallons.

Pros – Effective “pre-treatment” before fish is placed in QT with copper, antibiotics, etc.; milder/safer alternative to using formalin.

Cons/Side Effects – Turns the water an orange-brownish color, so probably not desirable for Quarantine or Display Tank use. Full range of positive effects and possible side effects are not completely understood at this time.

Thanks ruby reef on order. Now let’s hope she makes it another week.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ruby reef on order. Now let’s hope she makes it another week.

Any reason I couldn’t use carbon to remove copper then do the bath in the QT prior to moving to DT? I don’t think the one girl is going to make it. @Big G

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I can think of is that running carbon has been known to possibly contribute to HLLE and somewhere I read maybe Lympho in some fish. In the fish's weakened condition, if it is carrying the virus, it could appear. It's not usually harmful unless it grows internally and creates pressure on internal organs, behind the eye, etc.

Last edited:

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I can think of is that running carbon has been known to contribute to Lymphocysitis. In the fish's weakened condition, if it is carrying the virus, it could appear. It's not usually harmful unless it grows internally and creates pressure on internal organs, behind the eye, etc.

I did not know that. Certainly something to think about.. I started running carbon the other day to remove prazi from my wrasse qt and the flame started getting lympho looking growths on her anal fin. As a precaution, given I had been dealing with velvet in the other tanks(not wrasse tank but they got copper anyway), I started furan-2 yesterday and pulled carbon. I'm wondering if that's why it popped up almost overnight

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I can think of is that running carbon has been known to contribute to Lymphocysitis or HLLE. In the fish's weakened condition, if it is carrying the virus, it could appear. It's not usually harmful unless it grows internally and creates pressure on internal organs, behind the eye, etc.

I’m talking about treating the remaining healthy fish. Sadly as I expected she died today. I’m thinking of running carbon for a couple of days to remove copper then treat the whole tank with ruby reef before transferring. Just to limit the stress of catching them twice. Any issues with that?

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I can think of is that running carbon has been known to contribute to Lymphocysitis or HLLE. In the fish's weakened condition, if it is carrying the virus, it could appear. It's not usually harmful unless it grows internally and creates pressure on internal organs, behind the eye, etc.

Interesting.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back