Bacteria of some sort.

tario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day everyone . I just want to say thank you in advance because I know someone here has dealt with this before.

So here goes. My tank is a fairly young tank (7 months old) . It is a 20gal waterbox and is lit by a ai prime 16hd. The tank has 3 small fish ( Royal grammar, sixline wrasse and a fire fish) .

So here's the dilemma. I had a bacterial bloom for about 2 months now . I bought a 13w UV sterilizer and the bloom was gone within 4 days, but a day after I took it off , bam full fledged bloom again. So then I bought a Ultraviolet Sterilizer V2 from Coralife ( I purchased this because I could hide it in the return section. Its a little less watts). The few corals that I have are struggling (zoes and gsp) but fish are doing fine.I have no idea what to do now , please help.

Nitrates : 0 (Just started doesing neonitro today)
Phosphate: 0 ( I have a smidgen of hair algea)
Alk: 9
Mag: 1350
20210727_160443.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is feeding the bloom.
You might have nitrates and phosphates being consumed by gha or bacteria before you can measure them

OP
OP
tario

tario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the
What is feeding the bloom.
You might have nitrates and phosphates being consumed by gha or bacteria before you can measure them
Well the gha is about the size of my thumb...and its only of one rock. The white stuff on the rocks are like slime.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That white stuff is definitely bacteria. You have a big bloom going on. Poster above is correct: find the source. Are you dosing something like Nopox or other additives meant to feed bacteria? Have you been adding bacteria?

OP
OP
tario

tario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That white stuff is definitely bacteria. You have a big bloom going on. Poster above is correct: find the source. Are you dosing something like Nopox or other additives meant to feed bacteria? Have you been adding

That white stuff is definitely bacteria. You have a big bloom going on. Poster above is correct: find the source. Are you dosing something like Nopox or other additives meant to feed bacteria? Have you been adding bacteria?
Well today I added some neonitro to the tank ,because nitrates were at 0. Other than that nothing else is added to the tank. But I do have a nano packet of chemi pure blue in the back chamber.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any more neonitro as it might feed some bacteria types. As far as I know, chemi pure blue is just activated carbon plus some resins---so shouldn't be feeding bacteria. That being said, go ahead and take it out for now. Did you use live rock to start your tank? If so, maybe there was a bunch of detritus in it that is feeding the bloom. Anyway, with a small tank like yours, just keep doing 20% water changes weekly after you blow off your rocks with a turkey baster (or siphon the goo directly while removing water). I'd use both of your UV sterilizers for a while until the bloom is completed. You obviously have a source feeding it (maybe inside your rock) so all you can do is wait until it's depleted. What are you feeding your fish/corals by the way?
PS you're probably not going to see any measurable nutrients in your tank when you have that much bacteria in there.

OP
OP
tario

tario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any more neonitro as it might feed some bacteria types. As far as I know, chemi pure blue is just activated carbon plus some resins---so shouldn't be feeding bacteria. That being said, go ahead and take it out for now. Did you use live rock to start your tank? If so, maybe there was a bunch of detritus in it that is feeding the bloom. Anyway, with a small tank like yours, just keep doing 20% water changes weekly after you blow off your rocks with a turkey baster (or siphon the goo directly while removing water). I'd use both of your UV sterilizers for a while until the bloom is completed. You obviously have a source feeding it (maybe inside your rock) so all you can do is wait until it's depleted. What are you feeding your fish/corals by the way?
PS you're probably not going to see any measurable nutrients in your tank when you have that much bacteria

OP
OP
tario

tario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started with dry rock and live sand.I feed P.E mysis Nd flakes once a day. I will stop with the neonitro and play the waiting game.

Once again, thank you for the help.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS you're probably not going to see any measurable nutrients in your tank when you have that much bacteria in there.

0 nitrate could benefit the bacteria if they fixate nitrogen from the air

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day everyone . I just want to say thank you in advance because I know someone here has dealt with this before.

So here goes. My tank is a fairly young tank (7 months old) . It is a 20gal waterbox and is lit by a ai prime 16hd. The tank has 3 small fish ( Royal grammar, sixline wrasse and a fire fish) .

So here's the dilemma. I had a bacterial bloom for about 2 months now . I bought a 13w UV sterilizer and the bloom was gone within 4 days, but a day after I took it off , bam full fledged bloom again. So then I bought a Ultraviolet Sterilizer V2 from Coralife ( I purchased this because I could hide it in the return section. Its a little less watts). The few corals that I have are struggling (zoes and gsp) but fish are doing fine.I have no idea what to do now , please help.

Nitrates : 0 (Just started doesing neonitro today)
Phosphate: 0 ( I have a smidgen of hair algea)
Alk: 9
Mag: 1350
20210727_160443.jpg
I’m having the same problem. How did the uv plus waiting game go? How long did it take to disappear? What turned out to be the cause? Thanks!

Back