Bacteria: What are your thoughts on adding "bacteria" to your reef tank?

Do you add any type of bacteria to your reef tank?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 256 71.1%
  • NO

Votes: 98 27.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There has been a lot of discussion regarding adding certain types of bacteria to your reef tank and today I thought we might talk about it some more! :p

1. Do you add any type of bacteria to your reef tank and if so what and why?

2. What changes have you noticed in your reef tank from these additions?

image via @Abood
IMG_8235.JPG

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you add any type of bacteria to your reef tank and if so what and why? Yes - MicroBacter 7. I do this with water changes and whenever I add more than 1-2 fish to the mix. It does no harm, and is a prophylactic regimen (not unlike those who treat quarantined fish with copper/prazi when no disease is present - juts in case).

None but healthy livestock and peace of mind.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 Just the bacteria that is under these snails.

2 It has worked forever :cool:

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Currently yes, I dose Vibrant once a week to combat hair algae and Valonia.
I also add Microbacter7 in the hopes of mitigating the Cyano issues that some seem to get from using Vibrant.

2. It is too early to see any changes yet, but the evidence is overwelming so I count on seeing improvements in the coming weeks!

IMG_20210113_171317.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to see it this way:

no matter how we begin a reef, or add to it, water shear and natural space competition and biofilm creates limitations on how much your live rock can hold...being post cycle means they're full, live rocks are full on bacteria post cycle and don’t stack higher or thicker with more bioload, as the masses would claim.

whats not adhered gets skimmed as aggregate, or lodged in a sink, its not helping tremendously to dose more vs simple manual cleaning of clogging waste, re exposing work surfaces to waste water, and upping your actual nitrification through cleaning and not through repeated retail purchases. Extra bacteria are lowering surface area if they stack, and compete for 02 in excess and don’t increase contact with wastewater

export is where bacterial management is at in my opinion
zoos regulate their giant filters by backflushing largely

export.

these tanks self regulate their own bac if you de clog them

not that specialized additives don't exist, but in 2021 what they do well is quick cycling, any of the maintenance stuff is getting ur cash

the microbial world is full of opposites.

export helps you manage bacteria the best, not import. clear out the proteins and slicks competing bacteria want to capitalize on so that your sheerest cleanest surface area is exposed to wastewater, and the nitrifying communities always adhered to that surface no matter how well you clean will be doing the best nitrification you can possibly attain.

our focus is always on bacteria in the hobby because that's the cash driver, they've already sold us the surface area.

the bottle bac they keep reselling us has no more vital space to attach, so its becoming exported as it floats in suspension

we tend to leave the whole particulate behind, this is the channel clogging material we should eject

we need to be managing our surfaces for a strong reef... it’s not always about the additives

one way is free and one way isn’t, which one gets the most writing and board promotion

Last edited:

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a lot of discussion regarding adding certain types of bacteria to your reef tank and today I thought we might talk about it some more! :p

image via @Abood
IMG_8235.JPG
I am a firm believer in using the Dr. Tim’s method to cycle a tank instead of putting some poor hapless fish into it. I use the ammonia and then also the one and only to cycle. I also occasionally add some one and only when I increase livestock or change filters. I’ve had consistently stable tanks and I really believe in the product.

Kevan Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I don't but I've had a couple bouts of cyano invasion that take time to resolve. I used Dr. Tim's (Waste Away) to help if that occurs. I've tried feeding with pellets twice and both times resulted in massive cyano attack. Lesson learned for me, go back to frozen cubes.

EchoStar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add vibrant every water change. I have found this reduces the algae in the tank and keep the glass looking clean.

StKi1da

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In battling dinos, I dosed atm colony, phyto and copepods (1 sachet a day) which worked a treat and back to clean sand.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back