Bacteria: What are your thoughts on adding "bacteria" to your reef tank?

Do you add any type of bacteria to your reef tank?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 256 71.1%
  • NO

Votes: 98 27.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to do 8 weeks then don’t pay for ten day bottle bac its a waste, at eight weeks you’ll be naturally cycled without any additives. We pay for speed cycling to be able to speed cycle by the dates on the label of your bottle bac, your cycle is done, it’s been done.

Last edited:

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, microbacter 7 if I start to see some cloudiness to my water. I’ve also used vibrant weekly on some family members tanks (along with water changes)....the algae is gone and they all think I’m magic.

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to start cycling with as diverse a set of microfauna as possible, not just bacteria.

When I yank large chunks of old filter floss, add new fish, have a magnitude or minimal feeding day, etc, I usually add MB7 prophylactically just to help avoid even a momentary breath of ammonia.

Basically, whenever the bioload changes in a way that would be unexpected for the bacterial populations. I also subscribe to the notion that refreshing younger and fresher bacteria isn't a bad idea. In the net, as long as you don't overdo it, it's all about preventing decline IMO, and bacteria is just one tiny part of it. Aquariums by nature are always headed toward chaos, and we constantly have to perform water changes, top off evap, dose minor and major trace, etc. It surprises me how many folks don't feel there's a need to ever do any maintenance on the bacterial populations.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, microbacter 7 if I start to see some cloudiness to my water. I’ve also used vibrant weekly on some family members tanks (along with water changes)....the algae is gone and they all think I’m magic.
Hahahaha - do they call you Gandalf?

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gogol

your cycle is done, change out water and begin reefing. It was done a while ago. Fingers crossing worked
Thanks for the assurance Brandon!

I have started my 2 part dosing routine (Brightwell Reef Code A and B), lights will be turned on this weekend, and the Trident will be installed, today, to monitor the major elements. I am seriously hoping that Algae Barn is able to provide my bottled coraline algae by this weekend as well. I need to see some evidence of my tank's reefability real soon.

I have kinda put the cart before the horse here. My fish and corals arrive by May 2nd week, so I have put myself on a clock here. :p

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I’ve heard “the tank has never looked so clean” tons of times...it’s also true. I believe the vibrant helped speed up the algae removal.
Thanks for that pointer, Shmollica. Is the product in the following link the one that you mentioned? (ref: Vibrant) - Link

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that pointer, Shmollica. Is the product in the following link the one that you mentioned? (ref: Vibrant) - Link
Yeah that’s the stuff and that bottle lasts forever lol. I added 7ml to a 60gallon once a week and everything but bryopsis seems to have been wiped out within a month. The bryopsis seems to be a little tougher to get rid of. I planned to try reefrx (fluconozol) for that next.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4 Shmollica. Thank you again for the recommendations. I am bracing for the ugly-phase myself and am front-loading the tank with hopefully "good bacteria", to crowd-out the uglies.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to start cycling with as diverse a set of microfauna as possible, not just bacteria.

When I yank large chunks of old filter floss, add new fish, have a magnitude or minimal feeding day, etc, I usually add MB7 prophylactically just to help avoid even a momentary breath of ammonia.

Basically, whenever the bioload changes in a way that would be unexpected for the bacterial populations. I also subscribe to the notion that refreshing younger and fresher bacteria isn't a bad idea. In the net, as long as you don't overdo it, it's all about preventing decline IMO, and bacteria is just one tiny part of it. Aquariums by nature are always headed toward chaos, and we constantly have to perform water changes, top off evap, dose minor and major trace, etc. It surprises me how many folks don't feel there's a need to ever do any maintenance on the bacterial populations.
I love that quote - "Reef Aquaria by their nature are headed towards chaos" ... mind if I steal that?

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4 Shmollica. Thank you again for the recommendations. I am bracing for the ugly-phase myself and am front-loading the tank with hopefully "good bacteria", to crowd-out the uglies.
Vibrant definitely works on diatoms and hair algae. The brs guys used double the dose and said it really wiped out algae but I never tried it. I also never used it on start up. Is the initial diatom bloom good because it soaks up the excess silicates from the new sand and rock?

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant definitely works on diatoms and hair algae. The brs guys used double the dose and said it really wiped out algae but I never tried it. I also never used it on start up. Is the initial diatom bloom good because it soaks up the excess silicates from the new sand and rock?
I am not nearly knowledgeable enough to comment on that Shmollica - however from whatever little i have read, diatoms, sponges, and limpets/mollusks consume silica, in decaresing order of consumption.

I am somewhat vain, and prefer to look at corals and fishes than diatoms (shoot me).

Here's a link to an article on this subject (ref:silica) that I had found informative. Link

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that quote - "Reef Aquaria by their nature are headed towards chaos" ... mind if I steal that?
Go for it! It always resonated in my brain as an accurate assessment. You start w/ pristine, brand new saltwater in a clean glass tank. From there, it's a sisyphean adventure. I've always chuckled at people talking stability when they can't even let evap go for more than a hot minute.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! It always resonated in my brain as an accurate assessment. You start w/ pristine, brand new saltwater in a clean glass tank. From there, it's a sisyphean adventure. I've always chuckled at people talking stability when they can't even let evap go for more than a hot minute.
Hahaha "Sisyphean Adventure".

A reef within a house is a natural aberration without a doubt. Nature has eons of experience in maintaining equilibria. We reefers are fighting against an ancient and omnipresent force.

Can't give up though. Humans weren't meant to fly, but we did reach the Moon.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use vibrant in my 170 as it's just about at that magic 2 year mark so the extra bacteria has really helped keep it clean.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that detailed post Belgian_Anthias. Will i be correct to paraphrase the post into saying the following:
  1. give your tank 5-8 weeks for the preferred bacteria to get established
  2. Post Ammonia-reduction by bacteria, add light and food as sources of energy
  3. Introduce inexpensive tankmates to observe survivalibity in the reef that you have newly-created
  4. Unless the provider of the bottle doesn't explicitly mention the contents of the product (Brightwell is often guilty of this), do not purchase/add.

As I am old school, I prefer to use bio-filters. it makes easy management and adjustment of he carrying capacity possible, at all times. One is able to install the filtration capacity needed before introducing tankmates.
I do not want to experiment with live stock. Using biofilters one is able to condition the system to support the bio-load which is planned.

I prefer to use macro algae, a combination of a remineralisatio filter followed by an algae filter, keep DOC as low as possible. Active algae management ( AAM) is used, the carrying capacity of the filter is installed before introducing any animals. ref: MB CMF de Haes 2017-2021

I prefer not to use a skimmer.

The first introductions are primary producers and reducers, phyto- and zoo-plankton, the same as will be cultured to feed the tank. They will help control the balance and provide a natural food source.

This if a mixed reef aquarium is planned with a normal nutrient input and output. Installing stability by maintaining a certain carrying capacity needs constant feeding!

If it is the intension to keep an LNS or VLNS one needs an other approach.

Thinking of starting a marine aquarium? A reef aquarium?
Why not first try to culture natural food?
Why not first learn how to use an active algae-filter, how to install and manage the desired carrying capacity? One can use it later and connect the filter to the system, providing the carrying capacity needed for introducing animals.
The needed space is limited as are the investments. One will know everything needed to manage a marine aquarium successfully. If one is not able to manage an algae filter one has all the experience to decide NOT to start a marine aquarium.

Most nutrient problems can be solved by managing the C/N ratio of the feed ( protein content) in combination with a balanced export capacity provided by an active managed algae filter ( AAM).

A stable autotrophic based carrying capacity can not be delivered in a bottle.

In practice, an heterotrophic based carying capacity can be installed within a week.

Last edited:

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question - is adding bacteria from a bottle any different than carbon dosing to increase existing bacteria levels in the tank? When I carbon dose, I see the same results: not having to clean glass often and algae disappearing. Only difference I see is maybe adding different types of bacteria.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thought. I have always heard that tanks are carbon limited. If you add bacteria from a bottle, will it do anything without a carbon source? Carbon dosing causes a bacteria bloom...why not just carbon dose and increase bacteria that is already in the tank?

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a lot of discussion regarding adding certain types of bacteria to your reef tank and today I thought we might talk about it some more! :p

1. Do you add any type of bacteria to your reef tank and if so what and why?

2. What changes have you noticed in your reef tank from these additions?

image via @Abood
IMG_8235.JPG
I have added Biospira to help in facilitating the nitrogen cycle. The additional boost aid the bacterial load of beneficial organism such as nitrobacter and nitrosomonas. After adding the bacteria my cycles have shortened. IF DONE RIGHT AND PATIENCE is available you will be able to add stock sooner than later. I believe in non cruel acts of using a fish no matter the type or how cheap it is it’s just NOT RIGHT!!!! Happy Reefing.....

Back