Bacterial and Fungal Infections that Can be Mistaken for Ich or Velvet

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently going through a fallow period but I was curious if there are any fungal or bacterial pests that can imitate these parasites...if so I can treat my tank for them while it's fallow to ensure a disease free tank after 76 days. Does anything come to mind?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently going through a fallow period but I was curious if there are any fungal or bacterial pests that can imitate these parasites...if so I can treat my tank for them while it's fallow to ensure a disease free tank after 76 days. Does anything come to mind?
External fungal infections are very rare in marine fish. Bacterial infections are most often secondary to some injury. I guess of all of the common protozoan diseases, Brooklynella and Uronema are the most often misdiagnosed as bacterial infections.

Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External fungal infections are very rare in marine fish. Bacterial infections are most often secondary to some injury. I guess of all of the common protozoan diseases, Brooklynella and Uronema are the most often misdiagnosed as bacterial infections.

Jay
Thank you Jay, I appreciate your expertise...I'm just an enthusiastic newbie who unfortunately got Velvet twice in a year (2 separate tanks) and wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to treat the tank for bacterial infections during this period.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back