Bacterial bloom after cutting caulerpa

nessyyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I find that every time I trim my caulerpa I get a bacterial bloom happening in my tank. Is this a coincidence or is it linked? For reference a picture of my tank. It is mostly growing on the rock work and at the back.
20200118_112958.jpg

OP
OP
nessyyy

nessyyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added info, the species is caulerpa brachypus.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I find that every time I trim my caulerpa I get a bacterial bloom happening in my tank. Is this a coincidence or is it linked?
When algae is stressed it releases a lot of exudates which contain organics - glucose as Cory pointed out, for maybe thirty minutes. Next time you stress the caulerpa by trimming it take it out of the tank if you can. Leave it in a container of tank water for half an hour.

OP
OP
nessyyy

nessyyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When algae is stressed it releases a lot of exudates which contain organics - glucose as Cory pointed out, for maybe thirty minutes. Next time you stress the caulerpa by trimming it take it out of the tank if you can. Leave it in a container of tank water for half an hour.
Thanks for your reply. Problem is they've rooted themselves onto the rock :S Is there a better way? Or do you think trimming one or two stems every couple of days is better?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. Problem is they've rooted themselves onto the rock :S Is there a better way? Or do you think trimming one or two stems every couple of days is better?
I not sure if your caulpera is a specimen or a nuisance algae?

If its a specimen you could run activated carbon to help remove the organics. Do you skim? this will also help.
Otherwise, yeh, don't trim all at once. Or trim all at once & do a water change.

cheers

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the small amount of glucose will help remove nutrients anyway. May even be ok for corals. Does it cause any problems?

OP
OP
nessyyy

nessyyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not sure if your caulpera is a specimen or a nuisance algae?

If its a specimen you could run activated carbon to help remove the organics. Do you skim? this will also help.
Otherwise, yeh, don't trim all at once. Or trim all at once & do a water change.

cheers
I do both. It was an algae I wanted to have in my tank for the seahorses so it was a specimen. It grew so fast though! Also is it better to cut or pull and tear?

They also root so strongly to the rock, what is the best way to remove the parts that come too close to corals?

OP
OP
nessyyy

nessyyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the small amount of glucose will help remove nutrients anyway. May even be ok for corals. Does it cause any problems?
My GSP doesnt look too happy during the bacteria blooms. My leathers arent as big as they usually are either and are closed a lot more than usual.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do both. It was an algae I wanted to have in my tank for the seahorses so it was a specimen. It grew so fast though! Also is it better to cut or pull and tear?

They also root so strongly to the rock, what is the best way to remove the parts that come too close to corals?
Cut.
Scrape it off the rock at the roots.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id love to see a picture if possible

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I find that every time I trim my caulerpa I get a bacterial bloom happening in my tank. Is this a coincidence or is it linked? For reference a picture of my tank. It is mostly growing on the rock work and at the back.
20200118_112958.jpg
Possibly trim less of the algae more often to avoid surges in algae “juices” and bacteria blooms.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back