BRS

marcusbacus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
A very unexpected bacterial bloom happened in my tank today. The culprit? Seachem's zooplankton, I suppose.
I have used zooplankton before, from other brands in many formats, and never noticed anything odd. I started using the Seachem about 2 days ago, always following the instructions. Tonight when I went to check the tank before the lights are off, I noticed the cloudy water. It doesn't seem too extreme, but it's not light as well. The only different thing I did was add the zoo. While googling for possible episodes like mine, I saw the ingredients, from the Seachem site: artemia, rotifers, etc. and... Acetic acid!
The list of ingredients is as follows: Ingredients: Water, Sodium chloride, Acetic Acid, Euphausia Pacifica, Artemia, Rotifer, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Astaxanthin.
They should warn us of possible cloudiness episodes ...

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
A very unexpected bacterial bloom happened in my tank today. The culprit? Seachem's zooplankton, I suppose.
I have used zooplankton before, from other brands in many formats, and never noticed anything odd. I started using the Seachem about 2 days ago, always following the instructions. Tonight when I went to check the tank before the lights are off, I noticed the cloudy water. It doesn't seem too extreme, but it's not light as well. The only different thing I did was add the zoo. While googling for possible episodes like mine, I saw the ingredients, from the Seachem site: artemia, rotifers, etc. and... Acetic acid!
The list of ingredients is as follows: Ingredients: Water, Sodium chloride, Acetic Acid, Euphausia Pacifica, Artemia, Rotifer, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Astaxanthin.
They should warn us of possible cloudiness episodes ...

I don’t like the sound of those ingredients. I won’t be buying that.

Sounds like a bacteria bloom, looks like you have fed the bacteria and it’s gone crazy, should calm down when the food runs out.

Maybe reduce the dose in future.

OP
M

marcusbacus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
As I said, it wasn't too serious and the next day the water was clean again. As they don't mention the amount of acetic acid (aka vinegar...) they use, it might be really the culprit. Maybe it should be used one day of the week only or something, and in a smaller dose that is recommended.

BRS

Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R?

• YES and I keep it updated

Votes: 129 42.2%
  • YES but I don't keep it updated

Votes: 58 19.0%
  • NO but I want to create one

Votes: 81 26.5%
  • NO not interested in starting a build thread or journal

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 3.3%
Reef Republica