Bacterial Disease in Lyretail Anthias?

bs80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I bought five female Lyretails yesterday that are currently in quarantine. One of them isnt eating and has its mouth hanging open. The other four look fine.. Is this a bacterial infection, and how should I treat? Thanks!
20200806_132156.jpg
20200806_132152.jpg

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be Euronema, it is hard to see in the picture. What would I do?

Start ramping copper, treat with kannaplex and metroplex or Dose Furan 2 which is easier to find. LOTS OF AERATION!! and monitor for ammonia spikes.

OP
OP
B

bs80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, Uronema never crossed my mind. I actually dosed Metro immediately after they all went into the QT because I had read that anthias are susceptible to that disease. The reason I suspected a bacterial infection is that the redness is located near the mouth, and yesterday when they were being bagged, one of them was stuck to the net by its mouth and may have been pulled off in a rough manner. I'm guessing it caused some trauma and became infected. Its right eye is also slightly cloudy.

I have NFG powder, meth blue, and cipro, in addition to a handful of other stuff. I'd prefer to administer via bath to preserve the bacterial filtration system that is already in place.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhh. well you didn't mention that :) If it looks overly red than cipro would be a good bet, especially since he may have a cloudy eye which is often a sign of a general infection or flukes.

OP
OP
B

bs80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, yeah I realized I should've mentioned that. Gave it a Cipro/Methylene Blue bath for 30 minutes but I'm afraid it might be too little too late. Just realized I probably should've gone longer than 30 minutes -- if it makes it until tomorrow I'll start doing 1-2 hour baths.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first glance, that looks like Uronema. Trouble is that Uronema can feed on bacteria, as well as fish tissue, so it is common to have both going on at the same time. That said, I just saw your comment about one of the fish getting snagged in the net. I bet that is it. Did the store employee say anything when they extracted it from the net, like - "should be fine, but if you have a problem, give us a call"?

Jay

OP
OP
B

bs80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. Honestly, I didn't think much of it when it got snagged, and didn't notice anything in particular the first night. Unfortunately, the poor thing didn't make it much longer after the cipro/meth blue bath.

For what it's worth, I actually took home three green chromis as well the same day and planned to quarantine them together. Before even going into the QT, I gave them all a 90 minute Ruby Reef Rally bath. One of the chromis looked awful and couldn't even survive the powerhead I was using to aerate the bath. Another didn't survive the night. Like I said before, I started dosing the QT with metro as soon as they went in and also have been soaking every meal with metro and seachem focus. Do you think I made any glaring mistakes? As of now, everything left in the QT looks great.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. I bought five female Lyretails yesterday that are currently in quarantine. One of them isnt eating and has its mouth hanging open. The other four look fine.. Is this a bacterial infection, and how should I treat? Thanks!
20200806_132156.jpg
20200806_132152.jpg
May I ask where did you purchase the Anthias from?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back