Bacterial infection on BF Angel?

Claybird1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hello,

Trying to confirm if this is a bacterial infection of sorts on this Blue Face Angel we just received and is in QT. No meds currently, fresh/solid 20g QT set up. Not eating (2 days since arrival) and has white patches and torn (or rotted?) fins. New to angels and not sure if this is a stress response. Am aware that they can take a hot minute before they decide to start eating but.. just doesn't look too great. Need hopeful advice before we go all in for the furan, kana and metro.

Thank you!
20230322_110301.jpg
20230322_110257.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello hello,

Trying to confirm if this is a bacterial infection of sorts on this Blue Face Angel we just received and is in QT. No meds currently, fresh/solid 20g QT set up. Not eating (2 days since arrival) and has white patches and torn (or rotted?) fins. New to angels and not sure if this is a stress response. Am aware that they can take a hot minute before they decide to start eating but.. just doesn't look too great. Need hopeful advice before we go all in for the furan, kana and metro.

Thank you!
20230322_110301.jpg
20230322_110257.jpg
What other fish do you have in the tank with this guy? I see this as " Bullying damage" opposed to bacteria and evidence of fins shredded buy an aggressor. As long as you have it in a quarantine setting, You can treat it safely with Ruby Rally Pro or seachem Kanaplex to prevent infection and add aeration with air stone as well as maintaining good water quality focusing on ammonia with reliable test kit.

OP
OP
Claybird1985

Claybird1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish do you have in the tank with this guy? I see this as " Bullying damage" opposed to bacteria and evidence of fins shredded buy an aggressor. As long as you have it in a quarantine setting, You can treat it safely with Ruby Rally Pro or seachem Kanaplex to prevent infection and add aeration with air stone as well as maintaining good water quality focusing on ammonia with reliable test kit.
Ah this is what I was I was kinda leaning towards -- ol stress. Recently getting into angels and learning their quirks and reading that this discoloration can be a heavy stress indicator? Different than say a naso tang's white patches that show up during the night or scary times etc.

He's in a fresh 20g by himself. I do have kana on hand so just may try that in a day or so. I have seldom used any meds in my QTs; I typically put new adds in my 50g lowboy fuge "resort" separate from my 310 and always have great luck with happy healthy no meds fish after 30 days in there but the sucker already has several other fish going through QT! This BF with issue i took on to try to get well for a close friend. Just received it yesterday from vendor via FedEx overnight so yeah no telling what kinda buttheads were housed with the little guy.

Thank you for responding and the advice ! I can keep this thread updated for the sake of seeing what happens with this one..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the fish's history, severe flukes infestation is also a possible diagnosis - these angels get flukes easily, and often look like that towards the end. However, the tattered fins are from tankmate aggression. If the fish arrived to you like that, you need to contact the supplier with these pictures.

Jay

OP
OP
Claybird1985

Claybird1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the fish's history, severe flukes infestation is also a possible diagnosis - these angels get flukes easily, and often look like that towards the end. However, the tattered fins are from tankmate aggression. If the fish arrived to you like that, you need to contact the supplier with these pictures.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Anything can slip through of course but my normal routine for all fish is usual unpack and tank float, brief sw acclimate then into 78deg rodi for 5min then into 4 hour prazi bath with heater and air stone. I didn't see any worm parasite turds come off em or in the leftover water so I think we are good but I will be watching for them regardless!

I can definitely agree with you and Vetteguy about tank aggression! Man I have had issues with this vendor and they are well-known around here. This is actually the second BF (some store credit applied but of course shipping is !@$%!#&@) we have tried from them -- first one along with 3 CBB's were dead in a few days, cyanide caught likely. Store credit issued but, well, I can say it's been hell dealing with them. This BFA was infact supposed to be a more wysiwyg "3" changing" chosen to better our chances for survival and lo and behold this poor ~1.75" specimen came despite our first round of customer service problems with first BFA and others in the order. I suspect it is on purpose to be honest. I will see how this plays out next few days (this BFA lives or dies) to decide how we handle with vendor. There is other parts of even this "follow up" order that are DOA also.... as much as they deserve to be in a PSA I will hold off for now. Feel free to message me of course!

Definitely not a novice fish keeper and follow routine quarantines on all fish and inverts before they go into either of our displays. Just new to angels and their quirks/visual cues. Have a beautiful 2.5-3" pair of Imps (different vendor of course) almost done in another qt that go into the 310 soon. Acro colonies are large enough to risk some nipping damage and my 65 system is going to receive all edible LPS and zoa colonies from the 310 to avoid angel consumption!

Thanks for following up, Jay and feel free to message me.

Clayton

Pics attached of BFA yesterday and then today. Seems to be coloring up a little.

20230322_110257.jpg
20230323_101045.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify one thing - you will only see one species of fluke in dip water (Neobenedenia) unless you use a microscope. The other species are too small to see.

jay

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this fish currently? Are you already medicating the tank?

OP
OP
Claybird1985

Claybird1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this fish currently? Are you already medicating the tank?
It's still alive, not eating yet. Angels can sometimes struggle to eat at first from what I understand and have observed... especially adults fresh in captivity..

His color is a wee bit better but fins are not healing so I started Kanaplex this morning. He's still alert and responsive to my interruptions. Not really scared. Doesn't seem to he dazed or doing anything unordinary other than an extremely slight head twitch which could be as Jay indicated maybe a fluke issue.

I tend to stray away from meds. Copper etc. And have always had great success with FW and prazi pre-QT baths but .. going to see if the Kanaplex can help! I did 7gal water change before meds start and siphoned any uneaten food on bottom. Only have a large well-seeded sponge filter for Bio so keep a QT like this clean, and 7gal comes from one of our other pretty low nutrient systems as an opportunity to do a small WC here or there so. .. not wasting much saltwater and water quality is not ever an issue in the QTs.

Anyway will keep updated. Photos here this evening of the BFA.
20230325_202126.jpg
20230325_202020.jpg

OP
OP
Claybird1985

Claybird1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify one thing - you will only see one species of fluke in dip water (Neobenedenia) unless you use a microscope. The other species are too small to see.

jay
Welp everyone Jay was right about flukes! Can't believe they made it past the FW and the Prazi. Fish passed this morning. One photo was still wet from removal. The really ugly photo was a cpl three hours later where it dried up a bit and three nasty flukes are obviously present.
Never had such blatant crappy specimen and even worse-- on a not super cheap fish. Pretty upset. Vendor is playing games. Hopefully fixes it though not looking like it. Will keep updated here if the cat needs to come out of the bag to warn everyone to stay away! Thanks again everyone for posting and thanks Jay for your observations man!

20230326_101337.jpg
20230326_145220.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp everyone Jay was right about flukes! Can't believe they made it past the FW and the Prazi. Fish passed this morning. One photo was still wet from removal. The really ugly photo was a cpl three hours later where it dried up a bit and three nasty flukes are obviously present.
Never had such blatant crappy specimen and even worse-- on a not super cheap fish. Pretty upset. Vendor is playing games. Hopefully fixes it though not looking like it. Will keep updated here if the cat needs to come out of the bag to warn everyone to stay away! Thanks again everyone for posting and thanks Jay for your observations man!

20230326_101337.jpg
20230326_145220.jpg

Ahhh, I don't think those are flukes, they are round. I suspect they are fish scales that were dislodged by an infection....I call them "deciduous scales". Once scales start falling out, there is rarely anything that can be done for the fish, sorry to see.....

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back