Bacterial Infection?

StarterSaltWater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I feel like I only post when I have issues, but this is what i'm currently confused as to what exactly it is. To answer a couple common questions about my fish/tank:
- Yes, I quarantine
- Tests all water Parameters (I use Salifert test kits): Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate ~10, phosphate 0, never have I used copper meds in my DT etc.
- Subject fish has been quarantined for 4 weeks no sign of anything also has been in the DT for months now. I will however note that my Powder Brown Tang mauled this guy when he went into the tank initially, after moving my scape around, increasing feeding w/nori-various other foods aggression has since gone to almost none except when the PBT is stressed i.e. when I do water changes etc.

My best guess this is bacterial? It has come on rather quick from what ive noticed and his stomach is also bloated a tad, any suggestions? I have all of the seachem meds available for treatment as well but which is best? I do not believe this is parasitic but, could be wrong as I am only 1 year into this hobby! As always, any help from the community is GREATLY apprecciated!

IMG_5376.jpg IMG_5386.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did the PBrT attack it? I see what looks like a lot of healed damage, but can’t rule out flukes with those tattered fins.
The lesion on the right side is pretty large. Is it growing, shrinking or staying the same?
Do you have the ability to move it to a treatment tank? If so, you could dose with kanaplex.
Jay

OP
OP
S

StarterSaltWater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did the PBrT attack it? I see what looks like a lot of healed damage, but can’t rule out flukes with those tattered fins.
The lesion on the right side is pretty large. Is it growing, shrinking or staying the same?
Do you have the ability to move it to a treatment tank? If so, you could dose with kanaplex.
Jay

Thanks for the reply Jay! The PBrT attacked him and took nearly all his fins away which have since come back robustly/majority, he had pretty bad body damage which has since healed; however, I did notice what could have been an infection one other time maybe a month ago during healing process so I am wondering if this is still lingering from stress/old wound. (i would have removed if I could have caught him) but, as far as this white blotch goes, I only had noticed it yesterday so I could have grown rather quickly, I know photo quality is poor but he also had a smaller white lesion same as this at the base of his tail fin but not ON the fin... I can move him however I have other fish in my QT now for on-boarding. Ive never had an issue with any other fish having ich/etc to my knowledge. i Would also like to add thatI have recently added within the last month a long tube anemone (non photosynthetic) which ate one of my clowns, could this be a sting???

OP
OP
S

StarterSaltWater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Also, forgot to add a couple of notes, all other fish have no sign of anything, nor have they previously for almost 1 year on some fish, in addition this fish in particular is swimming normally, eating normally, etc. Currently since I cannot move him / catch him to move him to QT I am feeding w/Focus+Kanaplex!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Also, forgot to add a couple of notes, all other fish have no sign of anything, nor have they previously for almost 1 year on some fish, in addition this fish in particular is swimming normally, eating normally, etc. Currently since I cannot move him / catch him to move him to QT I am feeding w/Focus+Kanaplex!
That is unlikely to be an anemone sting. Since you can’t move the fish, the focus would be your best bet. Many fish recover from these issues, even with no treatment.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back