Bacterial or Fungus?

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by juicemanatx, Dec 21, 2017.

1. juicemanatx

juicemanatx Active Member

My Idol has developed a grey patch on his right side.

Currently running Metro, Kana, and CP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

I see some slight red bacterial spots on Atlantic Tang in the same QT... that’s all I see.

Tags:

2. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Fungus is almost vanishingly rare in saltwater fish, so bacteria is more likely. I'd love to say add Furan-2 to the mix to cover more bacterial bases, but I don't know how well it meshes with the CP.

Hopefully, @Humblefish will stop by to add a bit of his wisdom . . .

~Bruce

3. juicemanatx

He already looks better today. And he eats great. Hoping I’m on the right track

Maritimer likes this.
  4. juicemanatx

Well... it seems to have gotten worse.

But now it’s bumpy. Almost as if there a bubbles on his skin. Could it by Lympho? I do see some lympho on the Emporer in the same QT.

Currently there’s only CP and what’s left of the Kana and Metro in the water.

@Humblefish any ideas? Anyone else?

5. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Alas, I fear this is beyond my own abilities to diagnose or cure ... @melypr1985, @ngoodermuth, #reefsquad - does anyone have any insight on the plight of this moorish idol?

~Bruce

6. juicemanatx

Here’s a much better video where he shows it several times!

7. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Looks bacterial to me, I’d continue course. Adding Furan 2 probably wouldn’t hurt.

8. juicemanatx

I have Furan, and I also have nitrofuracin green I could try too

9. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I’d use Furan 2 only, if that’s the case perhaps just stay the course.

Is she eating?

10. juicemanatx

Eats like crazy, pellets, frozen, Nori, so far everything, pretty aggressive about it too, which Is why I really want to make sure I don’t lose it.

4FordFamily likes this.
  11. juicemanatx

Restarted a full triple of Furan, Kana, and Metro as well as I saw some ick in the QT so I added 1/2gm more of CP to the QT. Some of the bubbles on him popped last night and appear to just be dead outer flesh on him. Still eating like a champ.

12. juicemanatx

[​IMG]

Went to feed them tonight and he was gone

13. juicemanatx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To the touch it’s quite soft compared to the rest of his scales. So I’d imagine what got him was being exposed.

[​IMG]

I’m seeing in on a Kole and a Black Snowflake Clown too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any new thoughts? Just Stay the course with Triple Anti Biotic?

14. Maritimer

Ouch. Very saddening to see this - I'm sorry for your loss, Juicemanatx.

The possibility exists that you're dealing with a parasite called Uronema marinum. (Humblefish's write-up on it is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/#post-2913295 )

It's rare to see it in fish such as clowns or tangs, generally it seems to affect chromis and sometimes Genicanthus angels or anthias. There's also an article here which may help: http://www.ultimatereef.com/articles/brooklynella/

If that's what you're dealing with, keep in mind that Uronema isn't an obligate parasite - it can survive with no fish in the tank.

~Bruce

15. juicemanatx

They are in CP, so I don’t think that’s the case, unless it requires a higher dose than ick, Velvet, etc.

Maritimer likes this.
  16. juicemanatx

It’s also definitely not Brook. I’ve dealt with that before and know it’s symptoms well.

17. juicemanatx

[​IMG]

Lost this guy in the same QT, no noticeable bacterial patches, but he has a hole in his mouth?

18. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is horrific. Where did you get the CP?

19. juicemanatx

Diamond Back Drugs via the vet

20. Maritimer

Ugh. Beautiful fish, gone too soon. I'm very sorry, juicemanatx.

Diamondback. That's the good stuff.

The young emperor did appear to have some HLLE, and seems to have a few pale growths of some sort along his side, or perhaps thickened mucus. Was that there while he was alive, or is it strictly postmortem? There's a small white object in the hole alongside his mouth - is that sand - or something more sinister? I certainly don't see any obvious reason this guy's not swimming in your tank.

The "Ultimate Reef" article covers Uronema as well as Brooklynella, which is why I included it.

Bubbles popping on the Moorish Idol and appearing to be dead flesh just triggered a thought - consider adding Metroplex to the fishes' food, along with Seachem's "Focus". If this thing is internal, that might help get the medicine where it can do some good.

~Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted