Bad batch of Hanna Alkalinity reagent 772

STEEZY

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Well I got a bad batch of Hanna alkalinity (lot 0160) and it took me running out and opening a new batch to realize it, embarrassingly so.

I kept chasing ALK, getting consistently lower readings than expected and over doubling my all for reef dose (over time, like a month) to no avail.

I was trying to maintain ~8dkh and was getting in the 7 and even 6.5 range occasionally, nothing seemed to help.

well I open a new box and to my shock it is 10.3, tested again and it’s 10.4. Triple check with my Red Sea kit and got 10 (really should have done this a lot sooner, doh!)

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else and they figure it out quicker than I did.

silver lining, I made slow adjustments and nothing seemed to really suffer, with the possible exception of a scoly that was slowly withering away. I ended up trading it in since I couldn’t bear to see it go. I’ll check the store, maybe it’s doing better for them!!

Nutramar Foods
Tidal Gardens

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Yea bad batch I got also maybe old batch was 8 New batch was 12 and a very old outdated batch was 11.7 that was never opened 1 year old out of date ,so who knows so I order a hand step by step 1 to find the truth nothing digital.

Nutramar Foods
OP
S

STEEZY

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yea bad batch I got also maybe old batch was 8 New batch was 12 and a very old outdated batch was 11.7 that was never opened 1 year old out of date ,so who knows so I order a hand step by step 1 to find the truth nothing digital.

yeah just glad it didn’t have much ill effects, I guess going slow with the adjustments helped that part.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

How have you used eggcrate in or around your aquarium?

• Aquarium lid

Votes: 66 30.4%
  • Frag rack

Votes: 114 52.5%
  • Skimmer stand

Votes: 69 31.8%
  • Sump Divider

Votes: 41 18.9%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 33 15.2%
  • I have not used eggcrate in or around my aquarium

Votes: 56 25.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer