Bad batch of Hanna Alkalinity reagent 772

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got a bad batch of Hanna alkalinity (lot 0160) and it took me running out and opening a new batch to realize it, embarrassingly so.

I kept chasing ALK, getting consistently lower readings than expected and over doubling my all for reef dose (over time, like a month) to no avail.

I was trying to maintain ~8dkh and was getting in the 7 and even 6.5 range occasionally, nothing seemed to help.

well I open a new box and to my shock it is 10.3, tested again and it’s 10.4. Triple check with my Red Sea kit and got 10 (really should have done this a lot sooner, doh!)

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else and they figure it out quicker than I did.

silver lining, I made slow adjustments and nothing seemed to really suffer, with the possible exception of a scoly that was slowly withering away. I ended up trading it in since I couldn’t bear to see it go. I’ll check the store, maybe it’s doing better for them!!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya Hanna alk is and has been terribad. Then again water changes alone is almost always suitable for maintaining alk

View Badges
Yea bad batch I got also maybe old batch was 8 New batch was 12 and a very old outdated batch was 11.7 that was never opened 1 year old out of date ,so who knows so I order a hand step by step 1 to find the truth nothing digital.

OP
OP
S

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea bad batch I got also maybe old batch was 8 New batch was 12 and a very old outdated batch was 11.7 that was never opened 1 year old out of date ,so who knows so I order a hand step by step 1 to find the truth nothing digital.

yeah just glad it didn’t have much ill effects, I guess going slow with the adjustments helped that part.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was other way thought readings were off low, checked twice and then checked with red sea twice. Got almost identical numbers so it was really low.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%

Back