Bad fin nip treatment?

Acylontrile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone new to this forum!
I recently bought a pair of clowns from two different lfs. I got a flurry clownfish whose very healthy assume that she's a female since she's been at the lfs in her own tank for 2 months, and a mocha Clownfish who was being beat by another mocha pretty badly (assuming he's the male). His fins are pretty town and I wanted to give him asylum, so I ended up getting the poor kiddo.
So far the flurry is being super chill and protective of the clown, but the mocha is having a issue swimming. He's breathing normally but can't swim properly, he's in the same spot just trying to swim. What can I do for him? Should I put him In a net breeder cage for now until he recovers? Any good treatments for the poor fellow?

1601968985967159631667400249876.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One key diagnostic is if the fish is still feeding well. If it is, then you may not need to treat with anything, but if its appetite drops, or it stops eating, be prepared to act swiftly. Just an FYI - if you aren't quarantining new fish, it is usually best to stick with one LFS, by shopping around, you increase your selection, but also increase the chance of bringing disease in. Also, the LFS will always tell you it was the other store's fish that had the disease (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
A

Acylontrile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One key diagnostic is if the fish is still feeding well. If it is, then you may not need to treat with anything, but if its appetite drops, or it stops eating, be prepared to act swiftly. Just an FYI - if you aren't quarantining new fish, it is usually best to stick with one LFS, by shopping around, you increase your selection, but also increase the chance of bringing disease in. Also, the LFS will always tell you it was the other store's fish that had the disease (grin).

Jay
Thanks for the reply. Woke up this morning and the mocha was swimming around. And when I fed, he was eating pretty well.
I think he'll be just fine, hopefully.
And thanks for the info of not shopping around at too many lfs. I think I bought each one of my fish from different lfs.... haha.
How do you usually choose the right lfs? In what aspect?
I live in LA, and I have about 12 lfs within 15 to 20 min drive

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Woke up this morning and the mocha was swimming around. And when I fed, he was eating pretty well.
I think he'll be just fine, hopefully.
And thanks for the info of not shopping around at too many lfs. I think I bought each one of my fish from different lfs.... haha.
How do you usually choose the right lfs? In what aspect?
I live in LA, and I have about 12 lfs within 15 to 20 min drive
Picking a good LFS can be difficult - all the cool fish end up being at the other store! I used to make a big circle around Detroit, hitting 5 or so stores...but that was back in the 1980s, when the fish quality was better I think.

In the end, just try to find a store that balances price, knowledge and selection the best. I do know that many people shop different stores for different things - one store for dry goods because its closest, another for reef lights and another for the live animals....

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back