Bad/Good Hitchhiker from New Live Rock

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished curing my live rock from KP Aquatics. Attached are photos of the live rock. Please help me ID what is good and bad so I can remove it before placing into my DT. I pulled out a slug and shrimp. Are they good/bad? Thanks.

IMG_1761.jpg IMG_1754.jpg IMG_1766.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If in doubt . . . CHUCK IT OUT.
While hitchhikers offer surprises, they also offer catastrophes with our tanks.

wart sea slug is on left and wild pistol shrimp on right. Pistols generally connect with watchman gobies but wild ones are no guarantee.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure the shrimp is a pistol so good, the nudi would go in my sump until I identified it,
Pic one there is something top right, possibly an urchin or crab.
Pic two at the bottom there is a crab but without seeing it it is hard to tell what it is.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure the shrimp is a pistol so good, the nudi would go in my sump until I identified it,
Pic one there is something top right, possibly an urchin or crab.
Pic two at the bottom there is a crab but without seeing it it is hard to tell what it is.
Yes it is an urchin. I am assuming ok to keep.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of adding these live rock into my DT. I noticed these guys. They are not slugs. Are they good/bad. Thanks.
IMG_1767.jpg

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting some live rock from them. Are you happy with the rocks you received? How many pounds did you get? Did you get nice looking shapes? And how much was the shipping for air? Thank you

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting some live rock from them. Are you happy with the rocks you received? How many pounds did you get? Did you get nice looking shapes? And how much was the shipping for air? Thank you
I couldn't be happier with the live rock from KP aquatics. I ordered a total of 45 lbs. 15, 15 and another 20 lbs. I replaced most of my rock work with it. I needed some particular shape and emailed them requesting it. They did not disappoint. The only thing to watch out for are bubble algae. I noticed a few and I thought I was meticulous at removing them before I added them to my DT. Unfortunately the last couple of days I started seeing a couple of them on the rock again...The price the quote on there website includes next day air...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pistol shrimp looks like a green pistol shrimp. Pairs up with a goby, digs burrows, very neat. Keep, or rehome alive, it's a good aquarium inhabitant.
The slug, I'm not sure, but it's definitely a nudibranch. Nudibranchs usually have very specific diets, and tend to resemble whatever they eat. Pretty ones like that usually eat coral, sponges, or the like. Live rock hitchhikers are typically doomed once they eat all of whatever it is in the aquarium. Probably sump that.

What things are "these guys"? I see many shapes. The assorted things that are sort of checkered around the edges are interesting, do they move?

The urchin in pic one is probably safe to keep for now, but will likely be a problem once it starts getting big. Keep it around until then, and rehome it when it's large. The macroalgae is halimeda, which is a nice macroalgae not prone to causing any issues.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The left two look like chiton to me.

Echoing what others have said for the pistol and slug. Cool little guys!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back