Bad Idea, Sea Hare and Nudi’s??

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it a bad idea to let the wife buy a Sea Hare and some Nudi’s. After we got home, I started finding posts saying we have just sentenced the Nudi’s to a slow, starving death. :-(
26366FFF-2103-494F-B671-AC9A80E8B19B.jpeg
6D9F75B9-620B-47F1-9D43-EE2621194ECF.jpeg
33227D52-1C7E-414E-B6B5-1F104A48E3D9.jpeg 4A7949D5-EF59-44ED-B9E5-94B0F5954170.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They were going to starve either way. Sea hares can be given away to someone with a lot of algae, and may eat nori. The colorful nudibranchs are doomed as soon as they're collected for aquaria, there isn't any viable way to feed them.

I don't see a sea hare in any of these pics. The last one looks a bit like a sea cucumber of some kind, a few species of which can be kept. A sea hare is a sort of lumpy, ugly greenish-brown nudibranch, they aren't colorful at all.

OP
OP
tricky_tran

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were going to starve either way. Sea hares can be given away to someone with a lot of algae, and may eat nori. The colorful nudibranchs are doomed as soon as they're collected for aquaria, there isn't any viable way to feed them.

I don't see a sea hare in any of these pics. The last one looks a bit like a sea cucumber of some kind, a few species of which can be kept. A sea hare is a sort of lumpy, ugly greenish-brown nudibranch, they aren't colorful at all.
47C63EC8-1046-4A8B-9E05-B82B53340B8F.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...I've never seen a sea hare that buries itself. Not sure what that is. I've never read anything that says they don't burrow, at least.

You might want to try to return them to the LFS, get your money back. If you can't, I would honestly consider euthanizing the colorful ones with clove oil, it's faster than starving. If the potato creature is a sea hare, I'd try to find someone in your area with a lot of algae, sea hares are great for that.

OP
OP
tricky_tran

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I've never seen a sea hare that buries itself. Not sure what that is. I've never read anything that says they don't burrow, at least.

You might want to try to return them to the LFS, get your money back. If you can't, I would honestly consider euthanizing the colorful ones with clove oil, it's faster than starving. If the potato creature is a sea hare, I'd try to find someone in your area with a lot of algae, sea hares are great for that.
27DB6F90-08C0-4524-A312-336AD362833B.png

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, yep, that's a sea hare. They're neat animals, but in a tank that white, they'll starve slowly. See if it'll eat some nori, or find it a new home. Some individual sea hares will eat nori, IIRC. If yours will, you should be able to keep it alive. If it won't, give it away.
The rest are doomed. They aren't your fault, they're the fault of everyone in the supply chain who collected and sold a species that can't be kept in aquaria.

OP
OP
tricky_tran

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yep, that's a sea hare. They're neat animals, but in a tank that white, they'll starve slowly. See if it'll eat some nori, or find it a new home. Some individual sea hares will eat nori, IIRC. If yours will, you should be able to keep it alive. If it won't, give it away.
The rest are doomed. They aren't your fault, they're the fault of everyone in the supply chain who collected and sold a species that can't be kept in aquaria.
Thank you!

OP
OP
tricky_tran

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome news tonight. Looks like the Sea Hare will eat red seaweed, as long as I put the seaweed in its face. :-|

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dollabela sea hares do bury themselves at times. They will not make it on Nori and often quit eating algae as it gets sparce in the tank. Yes, you can mix with nudibranch as neither are predators to each other.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can also release a lot of substances from quickly decaying that can do way worse than just spike the nitrates.

OP
OP
tricky_tran

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually release toxins into the water. I'd have a lot of carbon on stand by.

Most of them are poisonous. That's how they survive being a slow moving, unprotected sea slug.
Yah. I got a couple of cups of carbon going in my spyglass right now. My yellow tang died overnight. :-|

OP
OP
tricky_tran

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the sea slugs look damaged? It might have nipped at one and died of that. Some of them are really toxic.
Not that I can see. It was swimming really close to the Anemone yesterday, almost like the tang wanted to host it. Maybe it got stung?

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that a condy? Those do have a nasty sting. I'm not sure if that's one of the fish-eating species or not.

WizzWolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Sea Hare occasionally buries itself. It also tucks its face into crevices and what you are seeing in the photo is its flat back end....I find advice in these blogs conflicting. Some say Sea Hares die after laying eggs. Mine has laid eggs at LEAST 15 times this year alone. Also, once when an awesome put its foot into the nest the Sea Hare NUKED the WHOLE TANK. The only survivor was one fish that was under the sand at the time ( goby). I was devastated. I had gone through a nuke the year before with a box fish and now THAT. I'm just now considering getting fish again. I feed my Sea Hare "Pat" (both semesters, like in Saturday Night Live) one sheet of green nori, no spice every day. I love that thing, it's about 8 inches now.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back