Bad match?

Erino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have recently acquired a bicolor dottyback, he’s been in my DT for a week now and everything was fine. That is until yesterday I saw that my black Molly’s fins were torn up, so I moved the molly to my QT to give her time to heal up those fins, and today I noticed my dottyback has a white splotch by his head. Is this from just fighting? Or do I have a disease going on in my tank. Other occupants are a pair of clowns, a mandarin, and a cleaner shrimp. pH is at 8.4 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. What do I do?
A95E1426-2E51-4E73-A103-7B9C98B7B3ED.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an injury. What all is in that tank fish and invert wise? Dottybacks can be very aggressive FYI.

OP
OP
Erino

Erino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns, a mandarin, and a cleaner shrimp. The molly is chilling in my QT for the time being. The dottyback has been very chill, he claimed his little cave, and doesn’t bother the mandarin or the clown when they come close. I’m just very confused. Why is he only starting to be aggressive now?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns, a mandarin, and a cleaner shrimp. The molly is chilling in my QT for the time being. The dottyback has been very chill, he claimed his little cave, and doesn’t bother the mandarin or the clown when they come close. I’m just very confused. Why is he only starting to be aggressive now?
It depends on which fish was introduced first. Once they claim their territory, they’ll defend it. It best to introduce the most aggressive fish last. Dottybacks will attack fish double their size and can stress and kill them.

OP
OP
Erino

Erino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on which fish was introduced first. Once they claim their territory, they’ll defend it. It best to introduce the most aggressive fish last. Dottybacks will attack fish double their size and can stress and kill them.
So I got the molly and cleaner first for the tank, the dottyback is my last addition, and I didn’t even see what happened, just came home to an injured molly and dottyback 6 days after their introduction.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back