Bad reaction to copper treatment?

afex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 pink skunk clownfish in QT for a week. Both have been fine and eating regularly.

After the first week, I dosed 1/4 dose of cupramine. (20 drops in 20g. Reading was 0.23 few minutes after). Plan was to do this over 4 days. The day before the copper treatment, one of the fish showed mild signs of ich. 1-2 white dots, some flicking against the pipes in the QT tank

12 hours later (today)both fish look terrible. Their scales and fins show damage and neither will eat, mostly sitting on the bottom of the tank. The fish which showed signs of ich before now sometimes splashed against the surface.

any suggestions here?

Before

2C914B90-AA84-46C7-8325-385E5590D4E4.jpeg

after

EE5DFB3B-42E2-4BB1-AEC7-26C45B5CCD66.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the copper suppressed their immune systems to the point where a bacterial infection is setting in. Best to consider getting the copper out. Get them eating. You may indeed have copper sensitive fish. Have found Copper Power, a chelated copper, to be much easier on fish than ionic coppers like cupramine. That being said adding the copper in very small doses over 5-7 days spread out throughout the day - really small - allows you the luxury of observing for bad reactions.

Might need antibiotics. Kanaplex and Furan2 work pretty good for these situations. Or combined as Spectrogram.

Consider boosting their immune systems by adding Beta Glucan to their food. Works really well. Here's an article on BG:

OP
OP
afex

afex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice. sadly one of the fish died after a made this post. (the one which showed ich signs before treatment)

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice any skin sloughing? Could be brook which copper doesn’t treat at all.

OP
OP
afex

afex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they certainly looked rough, but it seemed more discolored than falling off. Seemed more rough around mouth and fins if that is any indication

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry it’s always bad to lose fish like that. I agree with Big G try copper power but I don’t think that’s the issue in this case. I think that it was brooklynella (do a google search for images) You can treat with General Cure at same time as copper and this will cover for brook (metronidazole) and flukes (prazi). I don’t think copper sensitivity was the issue here.

OP
OP
afex

afex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you agree about their theory on how/why the introduction of copper enabled the disease to take over? (Lowered immune system)

y’alls tips are very welcome. I’m trying to better understand what happened in this case to optimize my QT regiment. (I’ve been out of hobby 10 years)

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you agree about their theory on how/why the introduction of copper enabled the disease to take over? (Lowered immune system)

y’alls tips are very welcome. I’m trying to better understand what happened in this case to optimize my QT regiment. (I’ve been out of hobby 10 years)
Yes copper does suppress immune system but in this case it might be brook (in the setting of suppressed immune system and no meds to treat it). I would read all you can on both topics and decide yourself what you think it is so you learn from the situation. Next time you will be more prepared and will most likely be more successful!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back