Bad rock

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what to do but I bought this dry reef rock from Amazon because it was a good deal. Now a year later when I scrub off algae with a brush I still get a white dust cloud in my water. I have no coraline growth on it. It may be affecting my coral growth as well. The rock seems soft and crumbly. How do I go about replacing rock without losing my livestock? I have 5 fish, 2 BTAs, a hammer and various softies. Its 32g with about 25lbs of rock. Thanks

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady wins the race here. Is it artificial rock? It shouldn't be dissolving like that. Are you also sure it isn't sand?

If you do replace it, I'd replace one piece at a time to avoid messing with your nutrients too much. Buy enough to replace it all now and cure it in a bin with a powerhead and some saltwater (you don't need a heater or a light). Change the water in the bin once every few weeks. After a few months, the rock will be totally alive and it should be algae free.

OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady wins the race here. Is it artificial rock? It shouldn't be dissolving like that. Are you also sure it isn't sand?

If you do replace it, I'd replace one piece at a time to avoid messing with your nutrients too much. Buy enough to replace it all now and cure it in a bin with a powerhead and some saltwater (you don't need a heater or a light). Change the water in the bin once every few weeks. After a few months, the rock will be totally alive and it should be algae free.
Thanks. Its definitely real rock. Not sand. I took a small piece out and with a little force I was able crumble the edges off with my thumb.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same rock you got. I think it's just detritus. If thats how you spell it. Most people blow it off with a turkey baster. I do not think its the rock itself. I got the 40lbs for $40-45 also off of amazon. Had it for a year. Same stuff BRS sells and Marco rock. I would not get rid of it.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's crumbling like that, then definitely get it out of there in my opinion. You don't want it to collapse on you one day...

Good advice from @TheEngineer - It'll take you some time but it's rather easy to do it. Good luck!

OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's crumbling like that, then definitely get it out of there in my opinion. You don't want it to collapse on you one day...

Good advice from @TheEngineer - It'll take you some time but it's rather easy to do it. Good luck!
Thanks!!!

Zan101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what to do but I bought this dry reef rock from Amazon because it was a good deal. Now a year later when I scrub off algae with a brush I still get a white dust cloud in my water. I have no coraline growth on it. It may be affecting my coral growth as well. The rock seems soft and crumbly. How do I go about replacing rock without losing my livestock? I have 5 fish, 2 BTAs, a hammer and various softies. Its 32g with about 25lbs of rock. Thanks
Sorry to hear about the problem. I to had the same issue. I will not make that mistake again.
I went to my LFS. Bought all new rock from trusted provider. Cleaned rock and cried for a few weeks in trash can with flow and heat. Replace the rock one by one.

OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the problem. I to had the same issue. I will not make that mistake again.
I went to my LFS. Bought all new rock from trusted provider. Cleaned rock and cried for a few weeks in trash can with flow and heat. Replace the rock one by one.
Yeah I wished I just paid the extra money from LFS. The only time my water is super clear is when the rock gets covered in algae. Then I clean off the rock and I have a dust storm. I might use this as a excuse to upgrade to a bigger tank!!!

Zan101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good reason to upgrade to me. Nothing wrong with a bigger tank

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kimd of rock was it... got a link ? I bought this rock from amazon and it seems to be ok but i noticed some outer edges of it does fall apart but once that is off the rest of it seems solid.. i do notice a dust cloud when i clean off algae but thats in low flow areas and im 90% sure its detrious

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocea...ocphy=9008133&hvtargid=pla-348697801173&psc=1
That's it. Same rock I ordered. It had a lot of good reviews. This rock has been in my tank for a year now and still clouds the tank up for weeks after scrubbing it.

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its detrious. I have the same problem. In high flow areas it doesnt do that . But i did notice it breaks apart on edges that are weak. But when i clean my tank it clouds it up for a few hours at most.. i use a hob with a polishing pad at all times and its clear in an hour after major cleaning

OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its detrious. I have the same problem. In high flow areas it doesnt do that . But i did notice it breaks apart on edges that are weak. But when i clean my tank it clouds it up for a few hours at most.. i use a hob with a polishing pad at all times and its clear in an hour after major cleaning
That's a good idea. Maybe I'll clean my hob and use it after major cleanings.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that there is ban on the more popular rock there is an increase in lab made rock. Carriba Sea is one, that rock and others are made from coral rock dust, meaning rock grounded up and formed into different shapes. That is not anything good for natural filtration...when you read Real Reef Rock, stay away.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back