Baffling: frags from a colony dying no matter what system I put them in

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes we have to ask ourselves is the treatment harsher than the problem itself? Also, if it's the one lineage itself, could we be dealing with some other ailment? My only advice is to try a medicated dip with Iodine. I like Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure personally.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes we have to ask ourselves is the treatment harsher than the problem itself? Also, if it's the one lineage itself, could we be dealing with some other ailment? My only advice is to try a medicated dip with Iodine. I like Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure personally.
I can try some Lugols. And yes, it does seem to affecting only the frags from that colony. There was a lot of cutting, sawing and glue happening so maybe it is bacterial. Also strange how it morphed from a lot of PE with some pink and green flesh to this super pastel pink green orange.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen white/red bugs crawling on your coal's tissue? They should be visible if they are there, maybe take a video and watch for them crawling around.
I have not seen red bugs. As to white bugs, I am not sure I know the difference between a "bug" and a "pod".

I will look around for some critter ID threads. If you have a favorite ID guide please share.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen red bugs. As to white bugs, I am not sure I know the difference between a "bug" and a "pod".

I will look around for some critter ID threads. If you have a favorite ID guide please share.
Pods do not typically crawl on living sps tissue. If it's on the skin of your acro its likely not a "pod".

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods do not typically crawl on living sps tissue. If it's on the skin of your acro its likely not a "pod".
Thank you for clarifying; that makes sense to me. I cannot say I've witnessed that but then I have mostly just been looking at the bottom of the dip trays. Several folks here have pointed out that "white bugs" are not affected by dips.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time:

Well (fingers crossed) the RTN/STN from the bottom up has ceased, thankfully. I have a small handful of the affected species frags that have survived after losing ~25 pieces of it in November. Had to chop up a red tabling acro but it too is holding up well now.

I speculated before about KCl dipping having a role. Still feasible although stuff was dying that hadn't been dipped in a month or so. Some suggested the symptoms were from Red, black or white bugs (tegastes acroporanus). While still feasible, I spent hours trying to find a single one. Even with a lit lens and microscope I could not find a single critter.

I welcome your critique of my latest speculation: TOO MUCH RESIDUAL NITRATE
Turns out my Red Sea nitrate test kit was expired. Always returned 10-15 in high range mode. With NYOS, and a new Red Sea kit, and using my son's eyeballs, my NO3 residuals were more like 50-60. (40 to my old eyes but whatever)

So 2+ weeks ago I cranked up refugium hours, did a few water changes, and began lightly dosing carbon (ascetic) to reach around 20-25 on the NO3. PO4 holding OK.

Do you agree or do you doubt this theory?

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time:

Well (fingers crossed) the RTN/STN from the bottom up has ceased, thankfully. I have a small handful of the affected species frags that have survived after losing ~25 pieces of it in November. Had to chop up a red tabling acro but it too is holding up well now.

I speculated before about KCl dipping having a role. Still feasible although stuff was dying that hadn't been dipped in a month or so. Some suggested the symptoms were from Red, black or white bugs (tegastes acroporanus). While still feasible, I spent hours trying to find a single one. Even with a lit lens and microscope I could not find a single critter.

I welcome your critique of my latest speculation: TOO MUCH RESIDUAL NITRATE
Turns out my Red Sea nitrate test kit was expired. Always returned 10-15 in high range mode. With NYOS, and a new Red Sea kit, and using my son's eyeballs, my NO3 residuals were more like 50-60. (40 to my old eyes but whatever)

So 2+ weeks ago I cranked up refugium hours, did a few water changes, and began lightly dosing carbon (ascetic) to reach around 20-25 on the NO3. PO4 holding OK.

Do you agree or do you doubt this theory?
Looks like you found the issue. That's pretty high no3 relative to your fairly low po4 imo. Nice work

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back