scolson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
A short update - nothing picture worthy yet. Its been a busy couple of weeks of gathering things and I have two projects underway primarily focused on the "fish room" which is an alcove off my entry door.

First project is the combination work bench and mixing station which I'm building out of t-slot aluminum. I've got all Brute cans, uniseals, and plumbing parts to build out the mixing station, but I grew tired of cutting pipe with my dull hacksaw, so I picked up PVC cutters today and hope to finish up the mixing tank plumbing tomorrow. Parts for the bench are supposed to arrive in the next 7 to 10 days.

Second project is a quarantine system. I picked up two 20 longs at Petco last week during a 50% off sale. Right now the plan it to have one of them for fish QT and the other for invert and coral QT. I'm not going to be able to keep the recommended 10 feet of distance between the tanks but it'll have to do. Some HOB filters, heaters, ammonia badges etc. are on the way, as well as an aluminum shelf to hold the two tanks.

In addition to the two 20 longs at Petco, I also got a 40 breeder which is going to be my sump until I find a reason that I need a better one.

I bought two UV sterilizers from BRS. I've also been picking up a lot of stuff from the R2R market place, including some Kessil A360X Tuna Blues which will be the heart of my lighting system, A Reef Octopus 8" skimmer, a fuge light, a Varios 4 return pump, and a bunch of GHL gear. I still need to get a second Varios 4, some fill lights, and a lot of odds-and-ends but I'm making good progress on the infrastructure for my tank.

I've sent my design ideas in for the custom tank and hope to get the quote and lead times for that this coming week. I'm fighting my desire to make the tank just a few inches longer and wider :)

Last thing for this update: I attended ReefWorx (a local annual reefing event) today and picked up some nice rock structures. My plan to make my own NSA was really starting to look like a big delay that I wanted to avoid. I'm hoping to cycle my new rock structures in the 40 breeder some time this week so that they'll be primed when I finally get a tank.

OP
scolson

scolson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Finished up plumbing the mixing system today. Two 55 gallon Brute cans and Sicce pump. The 40 gallon Brute to the left will be RO storage in a location separate from the mixing station.

PXL_20210718_203717108.jpg

It turned out pretty well but my alignment from the pump to the T between the two discharge valves was off by about 1/2" so I had to install some 90s to account for the misalignment. Also learned that one of the values of schedule 80 fittings is they hide primer stains better than schedule 40 white fittings.

The right most valve on the bottom was intended to be a feed for AWC fill pump. I'm starting to lean toward just using dosing pumps for AWC so that might get removed.

At some point I'll need to cut in another outlet on the discharge to side of the pump to get access to mixed salt water for filling tanks but I didn't account for that when I ordered valves. I might end up using that tap on the bottom and another pump.

The wood that the pump is sitting on approximates how the system will install in the mixing bench. Everything will be off the floor to reduce noise and keep happy neighbors. To account for the height of the Brute cans without making the top of the bench too high, they end up sitting in wells on each side of the bench base that are 2" below the pump platform.

PXL_20210718_203752514.jpg

The left can has an RO fill float valve in it and will be the primary mixing tank. The one on the right will be mostly for storage but I can mix the two cans together with the correct valve combination. I'm not sure how I'll need to adjust the flow in the tanks for mixing so everything inside the Brute cans is currently not glued up so I can try different combinations of pipe and angles to get the best mixing flow.

PXL_20210718_203930000.jpg

Next step is to set these up in the bathroom and see what leaks all over the tile floor.

Corals.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
scolson

scolson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I think I'm still about a month out from getting my display tank but I've been making some progress with the "fish room".

The two 20 longs in the foreground will be used for fish quarantine and the 40 next to them will be for invert and coral QT and also a grow out tank.

The mixing cans are now tucked away under a bench. The top of the bench has panels on both ends that lift out to provide access to the Brute cans for mixing and inspection.

I've read that there should be more space between my fish QT tanks but I don't have the room to spare. I have glass tops on those two tanks and I hope that mitigates airborne transfer.

I'm a little concerned about maintaining O2/CO2 levels in those tanks because of the glass tops. Is that a real problem or just my anxiety?

PXL_20210820_020442249.jpg

OP
scolson

scolson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Well it has been nearly 2 months since my last update and I think I'm still a month away from getting the tank delivered. I've been working on the stand for the tank and continuing to pick up items I'll need for the setup.

Tank Stand.jpg

I picked up some clowns and put them through QT as well as some frags, snails, crabs, and shrimp that went into the invert QT system. I also recently scored some additional rock, coral and fish from a reefer taking down his tank so now all QT systems are full and an additional Brute can full of rock is waiting for my DT to arrive.
PXL_20211013_183157418.jpg

Maybe I'll have the tank setup by Christmas ;)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
scolson

scolson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I made a trip to Seattle last week to see my new tank under construction. It looks like it will be ready for me to pickup next week!

So I've been busy work on things that go in the stand. I decided to go back to an earlier plan to build a motorized lift for the lights which I finished work on today. I installed 8 Reefi Unos, each light can be positioned left-to-right, and front-to-back so I will be able to move them around based on how my aquascape layout develops.

Pretty happy with how it turned out!

PXL_20211107_013647283.jpg

AquaCave

How have you used eggcrate in or around your aquarium?

• Aquarium lid

Votes: 82 30.1%
  • Frag rack

Votes: 142 52.2%
  • Skimmer stand

Votes: 83 30.5%
  • Sump Divider

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 39 14.3%
  • I have not used eggcrate in or around my aquarium

Votes: 69 25.4%
Top Shelf Aquatics