Baking soda for dkh?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed the baking soda I bought is 100% sodium Carbonates not bicarbonate, does that mean I don’t need to bake it to get the ph boost?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed the baking soda I bought is 100% sodium Carbonates not bicarbonate, does that mean I don’t need to bake it to get the ph boost?

Are you sure it says Baking Soda?

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.
Soda Ash (aka Washing Soda) is sodium carbonate.

I'm confused! o_O

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The label says Bicarbonate of soda for baking cakes and the ingredients are 100% sodium carbonates?

Well that's contradictory! Bicarbonate of soda IS baking soda!!!! And it has to be sodium bicarbonate. You don't bake cakes with sodium carbonate! I'm just curious, what brand is it?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's contradictory! Bicarbonate of soda IS baking soda!!!! And it has to be sodium bicarbonate. You don't bake cakes with sodium carbonate! I'm just curious, what brand is it?
I’m in the UK so the brand probably won’t help, it’s the supermarket’s own label.
Oh and just noticed, to add to the confusion, the site has the ingredients as bicarbonate but the actual label on the container says sodium carbonates?

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love baking soda for Alk dosing, it works very well, is already food grade, and dirt cheap to boot.
I don't bake it personally, as I don't have any PH issues, baking adds an extra step, and unbaked is far less likely to cause precipitate issues, it's cheap enough to where I don't miss the extra amount I have to dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the UK so the brand probably won’t help, it’s the supermarket’s own label.
Oh and just noticed, to add to the confusion, the site has the ingredients as bicarbonate but the actual label on the container says sodium carbonates?

It's just sodium bicarbonate. Both sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate might be listed under the broader term "sodium carbonates".

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are nuts! If you use half a gallon per day of dosing solution then you should switch to calcium reactor. This dosing and DIY stuff baking is so much work when combined with all the other things that’s tank brings. Where do you have time for all this?? Calcium reactor all the way! The only thing it needs is greased silicone tubing for parastaltic pump once every few weeks. Everything else lasts for months before needs cleaning or adjusting. Could you imagine not having to mix and dose the solution again??

lol

Funny hyperbole, unless the tank is over a thousand gallons.

142 mL a day is typical of a 100 gallon tank, giving 2 dKH per day.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just sodium bicarbonate. Both sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate might be listed under the broader term "sodium carbonates".

Thanks, was getting a little worried there for a second...so would baking the product I have still result in a slight ph boost?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back