Bakto Blend and Bakto Therapie questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The algae is relatively easy to pull. I do not have to apply strength. But it does not come off simply buy siphoning. Even if I scrap it with the end of the siphon tube it will usually not came out. I am very tempted to use Dino X. My only problem is that I have two serpent seas tars and one sand sifting star that I do it have a place to put right now...

I have zero Nitrates and zero phosphates... I am using Red Se Pro test kits and for Phosphates Hanna checker colorimeter that measures down to 1ppb . I have zero phosphates in my RODI, zero in my new saltwater, zero in my tank water...? Even my tap water (which I do not use) has only 0,10ppm of phosphates.

pH at 8,32, SG 1,026, Alk 8,52 dKH, Calcium 450ppm, Mag 1360ppm.

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water levels look good to me. Try the higher dose for a few weeks and see if that makes the GHA weaker.

Maybe a friend or a local reef store can hold onto those sea stars for some weeks while you dose Dino X?

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately none of my friends are into e hobby. In fact, most of them think I am crazy to spend so much time on something that does not have wheels or an engine! I also do not have a local reef club. But I am really tempted as am becoming tired of looking into a tank with algae when I see so many beautiful tanks online! Also wonder how could I feed the starfish when I place them in a separate tank. The serpent stars eat detritus so I guess a couple of pellets would work but the sand sifting starfish not sure how long it would last in a bare bottom tank.

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alan.reef, you can find information on all our website. If there is a certain product in particular that you would like to know more about, please don't hesitate to ask.

VJV, sometimes this hobby is best understood by those in the hobby themselves. Since sea stars consume detritus and leftover food, you can give them some shrimp pellets or pellet fish food. If you don't mind housing them in a separate tank during the Dino X dosing phase, this would be the best move to make.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VJV, sometimes this hobby is best understood by those in the hobby themselves. Since sea stars consume detritus and leftover food, you can give them some shrimp pellets or pellet fish food. If you don't mind housing them in a separate tank during the Dino X dosing phase, this would be the best move to make.

Can I use DinoX in a dosing pump? The reason I ask is because I am out during the week and cannot dose every 2 days. Also in this case I would only be able to take out the dead algae every 5 days or so. Would that be a problem? To dose I could simply drill a hole in the DinoX Cap, insert airline tube and connect to the dosing pump.

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can use a doser for this purpose as long as you don't end up dosing more than 10 times in the whole treatment.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and what about only being able to manually remove algae once or twice a week? Would this defeat/slow the progress as dead algae would release nutrients back into the water?

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go ahead and remove the algae once a week. Doing so will not defeat or slow down the progress.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go ahead and remove the algae once a week. Doing so will not defeat or slow down the progress.
Hi. My algae is still not gone in spite of the Bakto Blend and Bakto Therapie dosmg. Considering using Dino X but jave one question: instructions say not to dose trace elements. However, i am using the Baling light method that requires you to mix trace elements with the Calcium salts. Do i need to stop dosing the calcium solution that has the trace elements mixed in?

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I see you posted your question in another forum also. I'll post my response here as well. :)

It is safe to dose Balling Light salts with Trace B elements mixed in. The Trace B solutions will not react negatively to an Algae X treatment.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I see you posted your question in another forum also. I'll post my response here as well. :)

It is safe to dose Balling Light salts with Trace B elements mixed in. The Trace B solutions will not react negatively to an Algae X treatment.
So after several months without success I will be starting wi Dino X treatment. Will put up a thread so that others may learn from my experience and results.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back