Willbiker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all

I run GFO and a refugium for nutrient export. My skimmer pretty much failed for 1 week while I was away so my nitrate and phosphate increased above where I usually try keep them at (around 5 no3 and 0.03 po4). To bring them both down again I increased my refugium light duration and did water changes each day. Now my phosphate level is back down to the normal 0.03 but my nitrate is at 0. Id like to keep my nitrate at about 1 to 3ppm.

So this leads me to wonder...are refugiums more efficient at removing nitrate over phosphate? .

I could either reduce my fuge light duration and run more gfo. Or run a higher fuge light duration and dose nitrate.

How do you guys and girls balance your no3 and po4 export?

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Gtinnel

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I always thought that macro used them up at a certain ratio and different types of macro have different ratios, but I may be completely wrong. I don't have any filtration dedicated to removing either phosphate or nitrate, but I have to dose nitrate to keep it at a detectable level.

Maximitsurugi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all

I run GFO and a refugium for nutrient export. My skimmer pretty much failed for 1 week while I was away so my nitrate and phosphate increased above where I usually try keep them at (around 5 no3 and 0.03 po4). To bring them both down again I increased my refugium light duration and did water changes each day. Now my phosphate level is back down to the normal 0.03 but my nitrate is at 0. Id like to keep my nitrate at about 1 to 3ppm.

So this leads me to wonder...are refugiums more efficient at removing nitrate over phosphate? .

I could either reduce my fuge light duration and run more gfo. Or run a higher fuge light duration and dose nitrate.

How do you guys and girls balance your no3 and po4 export?
You dose nitrate to balance it back. When the ratios are right again then you manage your export methods. I soaked all my rock in Lanthanum before I cycled and even a year later, my tank sucks po4 down to 0 on a Hanna ULR phosphorus checker. So, I dose.

NB. If you dose Nitrate, your phosphate will most likely fall some.

BRS

How far away from a saltwater fish store do you live?

• 0 - 5 miles

Votes: 103 29.9%
  • 6 - 25 miles

Votes: 126 36.6%
  • 26 - 50 miles

Votes: 57 16.6%
  • 51 - 100 miles

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • 101 - 150 miles

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • 151 - 250 miles

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 250 miles+

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • 500 miles+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1000 miles+ (you better post in the thread)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 2500+ miles (where the heck are you)

Votes: 4 1.2%