OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will be a lot harder to dial it in... Is there a reason you don't want to use a gate?
I have a spare ball valve on hand.. need to do some cuts to rearrange current ball valve.. it will have piling attached to it about 1/2" length on both sides sinvr already glued to it.. I guess I could use couplers and reuases ball valve

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare ball valve on hand.. need to do some cuts to rearrange current ball valve.. it will have piling attached to it about 1/2" length on both sides sinvr already glued to it.. I guess I could use couplers and reuases ball valve
I'd get a gate valve... You'll likely regret using a ball

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh I mean gate valves... I have a current spare ball valve

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use any valves on my drains
I have an oversized return pump with a gate valve on the return pipe to control flow.
What sort of drain are you running?

This may suffice on a Durso but would be worthless trying a Herbie or bean animal without one. You lose all the benefits.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Globe valves are the best for flow control followed by ball valves. It's hard to dial in a gate valve.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 180g with 2 hob overflows to the basement sump so maybe not being drilled is the difference?
Hob overflows are essentially a durso.

It's hard to dial in a gate valve.

It is not hard at All to dial in a gate valve. Incremental changes to the control wheel make slight changes to the restriction. They allow you to Creep up on the perfect, quiet flow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gate , best bet

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems most reefers prefer gate valves than ball valves,read that often on here.
I always got taught that a ball valve is better for plumbing ( not talking about salt water reef tanks)
Ball valves just more reliable than gate valves and fail less,which is my experience on water/air and central heating systems.

But either or either ,if use a gate valve, never open all the way as want leave a little wiggle room if ceases shut so can move both directions to try loosen ^_^

Just thinking maybe reefers prefer gate valves as won't be in service aslong as valves on plumbing and heating systems so less time to fail idk.

But am truly curious why most prefer gate valves rather than ball valves.
Maybe because ball valves offer a better seal and generally last longer and can be turned on/ off quicker than a gate valve and not in service as long usually on a reef tank and if dialing in the flow on overflow on reef tank its then left alone ? So no need to turn on/ off quickly or provide a 100% seal,or maybe pressures less on reef tanks so not as many problems with gate valves idk ha ha as only had one reef tank and no valves on my durso overflow going to my sump so cant really comment on which is better ^_^

Last edited:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the advice of the people here is spot on . The gate valve is the way to go . It’s more precise. The ball valve would not only be a pain to dial in but it will get harder to open and close after a while with build up from the dirty water passing through it .

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You understand we are working with small volumes of water, in a home aquarium, Not in a geothermal well, correct?

Both a car and a bandsaw have a tire. They don't even belong in the same discussion together.

As it pertains to this discussion about tuning overflows, gate valves are not hard.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back