Bam!! My red sea regal angel

el richie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!! I just scored on a venustus angel that's already eating flake!!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!! I just scored on a venustus angel that's already eating flake!!

Awesome. I'm trying clam and mussel tonight. He did pick at the clam, so...

Country boy using tapatalk on a HTC Evo

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice fish I hope you enjoy your dream. The chevron tang is a beautiful fish too, I just wish they would keep their juvenile coloration.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice fish I hope you enjoy your dream. The chevron tang is a beautiful fish too, I just wish they would keep their juvenile coloration.

Thanks. I'm a fan too of their juvenile colors on the chevrons, but oddly enough, I'm also a fan of their adult coloration too. It's their ''teenage'' colors that are kinda dull to me. I too am hoping the regal pulls thru this rut he's in.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Moved the regal from 1 qt to another longer one (standard 55) and bare bottom. My regal might have ich, not 100% sure, but decided the move was for the best just in case. It must have been ok with the regal, he took 3 attempts (picks or bites) at a half open clam after I placed it ito the qt with him!!!! :bounce: It's a start, at least. I didn't want to feed him until he settled down from the transfer, but he was picking at a power head, so I gave it a try. Live brine was tried earlier today with no intrest along with a sponge covered rock that I placed in his previous qt earlier this week. I'll keep y'all updated. Hopefully this is a good sign and we're (the regal and I) are making progress.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... Another few days and no eating. I realized this going into a regal, but didn't realize how bad it would effect me. He still appears in good standings as far as I can tell and still a bit shy. Hopefully when some more weight comes off, he might consider a meal or more. Thanks for y'alls support and I'll keep updates coming.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, so sorry to hear the Regal is still not eating. Has the fish picked at the rock w/the sponge on it? If so, can you add more sponge to the tank? Maybe also try live foods (brine and blackworms). Placing gel food in the rock may also help to stimulate a feeding response.

We "cultivate" (for lack of a better word) sponge in our refugium that we give to our Regal on occasion and she goes crazy over it. Hopefully, yours will end the hunger strike soon.

-M&T

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, so sorry to hear the Regal is still not eating. Has the fish picked at the rock w/the sponge on it? If so, can you add more sponge to the tank? Maybe also try live foods (brine and blackworms). Placing gel food in the rock may also help to stimulate a feeding response.

We "cultivate" (for lack of a better word) sponge in our refugium that we give to our Regal on occasion and she goes crazy over it. Hopefully, yours will end the hunger strike soon.

-M&T

Thanks M&T. He never touched the sponge and I've been growing it just in case. I've been offering live brine all week with no response or care. I've still been offering a fresh/frozen clam every other day, but I don't think he's touching it (it appears to have been picked at, but barely, or the flow is just breaking it up). We'll see tonight, I decided to cut a 6 inch PVC as kinda like a dish that would keep the fresh clam intact for my visual checks. Nori was a no too. I had to start hypo btw. It appears that he was stressing and picked up ich, so maybe after the hypo gets down to proper levels (this morning was at 1.014, tonight 1.011-1.012), he might be inclined to eat. Just a thought, do you think adding another fish (an outgoing, not shy or aggressive one) would help him overcome this stint he's in (kinda like watching others and joining in)?? I was thinking of a couple chromis or cardinals. I realize it's a long shot, but I'm the type that will assistant in every way for my fish.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update (last night): Well, I decided to pick up a assistant for my regal to learn and become a bit more comfortable with while in QT and attempting to eat. Not that I needed another tang (only 3 in a 240 right now), I couldn't resist a beautiful Vlamingi that is about 7 inches, fat, has 1/4 streamers, and wants to be hand fed. I have always loved them, but never took the plunge until yesterday. He was added to the QT with the regal late, late last night after a lengthy drip acclimation. Once in the QT, much to my suprized, the regal came out almost within seconds and joined his new friend swimming within the water colum :bigsmile:. After a bit of swimming and what looked like a perfet pairing, they both decided to retire and sleep in the 10 inch pvc pipe together. I couldn't have been more suprised or happy on this.

Update (this morning): Well... not good news. The regal has passed, R.I.P. Not sure why (all parameters are on), but assuming it was the most common thing that gets most regals, lack of eating in captivity (which has been the ongoing issue here). After last night, I had a positive outlook, but it seems that it was not enough for the regal. After doing both a visual and somewhat internal inspection, I'm still assuming it was lack of eating. The regal showed no signs of stress from the new tang, external or internal parasites that could be noticed from my eyes. Thanks to All who have viewed and/or given comments on my thread and assiting with my red sea regal attempt. This is a tough loss and a learning experience for me. Mike & Terry, many thanks for some of the PM's and comments here.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, so sorry to hear this sad news...

Good luck with your new "gentle giant" and looking forward to seeing some pics of him.

-M&T

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the regal, I lost two before my third regal, knock on wood but he is starting to pick on my acans and my clams, might have to move him back to my 90 gallon QT

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about the regal :( Good luck with the new tang he sounds like he its a beautiful addition.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, he was a beauty. Vlamingi tangs are so personable, one of my favorites. They act like puppies. Looking forward to some pics.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the regal, I lost two before my third regal, knock on wood but he is starting to pick on my acans and my clams, might have to move him back to my 90 gallon QT

Thanks. Sorry about your acans. I was fully prepared to loose my if needed.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about the regal :( Good luck with the new tang he sounds like he its a beautiful addition.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Barb.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, he was a beauty. Vlamingi tangs are so personable, one of my favorites. They act like puppies. Looking forward to some pics.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to adding him to my DT. I haven't had a puppy like him since I had to get rid of my blue throat trigger.

Back