Banana Moray eel hasn’t eaten!

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive the dirty glass in the photo, but I have two eels, a Banana Moray (named Mango) and a zebra moray (not named yet). My zebra has been eating wonderfully since I’ve gotten her (squid, clam, shrimp) but Mango who was there a week before I got the zebra, has not taken a liking to whatever I try to feed frozen (thawed of course) from the tongs. It’s been about 3 weeks with no food taken from me. There’s a few feeder live shrimp (peppermints) and seven chromis. Both the eels get a long and I haven’t witnessed any aggressiveness from them to eachother. I often find them in the same cave together. Any advice on how I can get my banana moray to eat? Or is it a waiting game? Both eels look healthy I think.

0A22C464-9366-4AA3-AEF1-FB028BBEF543.jpeg

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep trying. Eels can and will go without for several weeks. It may take some live feeder fish held by the tongs to stimulate the appetite. Mussels fresh or fresh frozen from the grocery and Contessa uncooked shrimp tails were the favorite foods for my eels. They touched nothing from the fish store. I fed them every two to three weeks when they came out of hiding to hunt. Too much to eat and they hide all the time.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 Banana Eels that doesn't touch anything live, but a shrimp tail each only once a week. I had a zebra before them that gouged on anything frozen. IMHO, don't expect them to eat a lot.

My banana eels have gone for a month without food, keep trying and eventually it will happen, especially if there's another eel happily munching away by it's side. Cheers!

Last edited:

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I tried injecting TM Lipovit (HUFA) into the prawn’s tail, my eels wouldn’t touch it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try live grass shrimp or a coiuple of silver mollies (No Feeder fish such as goldfish or guppies) and crustaceans which are mainly what they eat.
Also assure nitrates are not elevated as they are messy yet need pristine water and salinity 1.023-1.024 with temp lower (74-76 deg)
Once you get them to eat, you can feed them mussels, clams, shrimp, crab, squid and even octopus.
GOOD NEWS: Rarely do they eat right away when new and can go 4-5weeks without a meal

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try live grass shrimp or a coiuple of silver mollies (No Feeder fish such as goldfish or guppies) and crustaceans which are mainly what they eat.
Also assure nitrates are not elevated as they are messy yet need pristine water and salinity 1.023-1.024 with temp lower (74-76 deg)
Once you get them to eat, you can feed them mussels, clams, shrimp, crab, squid and even octopus.
GOOD NEWS: Rarely do they eat right away when new and can go 4-5weeks without a meal
Typically Gymnothorax miliaris are crustaceans eater, I have absolutely no luck at feeding silversides, even live chromis, they just love their shrimp tails.

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my banana eel finally ate frozen!! I bought some saltwater acclimated mollies from seahorsesavvy.com and he ate a few when I was at work. Yesterday night I did a water change and he came out of one of the caves trying to eat the mollies again, so I quickly defrosted a silverside head, and he ate it!! Finally the fast is over and I physically saw him eat rather than hope he was eating live.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger Banana eel went on hunger strike for the past 3 weeks, while the smaller eel gouged on prawn tails. Now they are about the same size.

Go The Eels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive the dirty glass in the photo, but I have two eels, a Banana Moray (named Mango) and a zebra moray (not named yet). My zebra has been eating wonderfully since I’ve gotten her (squid, clam, shrimp) but Mango who was there a week before I got the zebra, has not taken a liking to whatever I try to feed frozen (thawed of course) from the tongs. It’s been about 3 weeks with no food taken from me. There’s a few feeder live shrimp (peppermints) and seven chromis. Both the eels get a long and I haven’t witnessed any aggressiveness from them to eachother. I often find them in the same cave together. Any advice on how I can get my banana moray to eat? Or is it a waiting game? Both eels look healthy I think.

0A22C464-9366-4AA3-AEF1-FB028BBEF543.jpeg
They are so cute! What size tank do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

I am getting a 150 gallon tank and would love one or both of these. Not sure what you would recommend?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back