Banded Coral Shrimp with Bubble tip Anemone

vivekshankarpmk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a green bubble tip anemone in my 1 year tank.i have a coral banded shrimp or boxer shrimp. Does the shrimp disturb the anemone or is my tank parameters
disturbing it. I tested my tank salinity 1.025,PH 8.2, Ammonia - 2, Nitrate 10,Temperature 27.My Light is 120W DIY

Question 2 : How long should i run lights in a day i mean the duration

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to sanity check the ammonia test kit, as it is highly irregular to have a reading in a tank that age unless you have recently had an "event". By that I mean a large fish dying off, letting live rock sit out airborne for excessive amount of time (affecting the nitrifying bacteria), a sudden addition of significant livestock (or near the tank's maximum abilities).

OP
OP
vivekshankarpmk

vivekshankarpmk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't know about the shrimp but any ammonia is dangerous to marine animals. is your tank cycled? what is your bioload like? tank size?
its 1.75ft cubical tank, yes its a year since cycling i have two clowns from the start of tank. Doing a 20% water changes every 7 days,i have two maxspect bio blocks and coral chip meanwhile i am running ATS too

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its 1.75ft cubical tank, yes its a year since cycling i have two clowns from the start of tank. Doing a 20% water changes every 7 days,i have two maxspect bio blocks and coral chip meanwhile i am running ATS too
did anything die in the tank? are you feeding more than the inhabitants can eat? does your tank smell like ammonia/are there visible signs of fish distress? any ammonia means there is an issue in either your system or your test kit. i would test again just to be sure.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, the 'nem looks good in that video. Are you concerned because it is morphing shapes? That is normal behavior for anemones, constantly changing shape in response to daylight and environment.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with the coral banded shrimp except they will steal food from the anemone if the anemone is not strong enough. And I mean take it out of their mouths if it’s not closed all around.

OP
OP
vivekshankarpmk

vivekshankarpmk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, the 'nem looks good in that video. Are you concerned because it is morphing shapes? That is normal behavior for anemones, constantly changing shape in response to daylight and environment.
yes exactly sometimes it shrinks some times the tentacles bloom more sometimes normal

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that event, just keep doing what you are doing, as things look like they are doing well. :) Unless you see fish responding with ammonia toxicity symptoms, I probably wouldn't worry about that ammonia reading either. But if it puts your mind at ease you could always get another test kit or reagents to sanity check the positive test you saw.

The problem with constant tweaking is that while sometimes it results in improvements, many times it is taking a hit on a tank's stability, and as I'm sure you have read everywhere by now one of the key factors for any type of anemone is stability.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back