Bangai dying of old age.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangai Cardinal dying from old age. These fish have a lifespan of only 3 or 4 years, this one maybe 5 years old. Bangai's have one of the shortest lifespans of all fish although some will live longer. His mate died a while ago and they spawned for their entire adult life. He has not eaten in a month (I am not sure if he is drinking) You can see his fins are starting to deteriorate, he is breathing very slow, his scales are not smooth as silk and his top fin is getting shorter. Also, a fish dying of old age shows no signs of disease until later in this process when their immune system starts to mis function. Then he may exhibit spots and the other fish will pick on him. He will find a hole to rest in and the bristleworms will then grab him and it will be all over. I will catch him just before that happens and remove him.
This is the way just about all fish die from old age which probably never happens in the sea.

Here he is with his main squeeze in their younger days.

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy. What is the best (as in nicest) way to put a fish out of his misery?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is happy that he is living to his maximum potential, that is all anyone could ask for and the way all our fish (and us) should pass away.

I usually put fish in the refrigerator. Fish being cold blooded slow down as they get colder until they stop. Many people disagree with this and have their own methods, but this is mine. Remember a fish is an animal that almost 100% of the time die by getting eaten alive at a much younger age, most as infants. This is a good death although he may hang on for another month.

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is happy that he is living to his maximum potential, that is all anyone could ask for and the way all our fish (and us) should pass away.

I usually put fish in the refrigerator. Fish being cold blooded slow down as they get colder until they stop. Many people disagree with this and have their own methods, but this is mine. Remember a fish is an animal that almost 100% of the time die by getting eaten alive at a much younger age, most as infants. This is a good death although he may hang on for another month.

@Paul B
Thanks for sharing your experience and your approach -- honesty and sincerity are much appreciated.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about Pajama cardinals.. Sorry

This is from Wikipedia:

The Banggai cardinalfish is a paternal mouthbrooder.[4] The female plays an active role in courtship and pair formation, which occurs a few hours to a few days before spawning. Mating pairs establish spawning territories several meters away from the main group and vigorously defend them.[4] The eggs are about 2.5 millimeters in diameter. The young remain in the male's mouth cavity for an undetermined period after hatching.[3] Unlike many other species of marine fish, the Banggai cardinalfish lacks a planktonic stage in its life history.[4] The species has a short life span, reaching around four years in optimal conditions in captivity, and perhaps 1 to 2 years in the wild.[4]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
off to the big fish tank in the sky little buddy!

He's still here, but I think his days are numbered. He has been dying of old age now for a couple of months

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried this once in 11th grade but I used the freezer instead of fridge because my mom didn't want it in the fridge (understandable). It turned into a whole block of ice and when i rethawed it, the fish started swimming like nothing happened :) Had him for another two months after.

Since I have moved to clove oil

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^when I work for the cable company i used to see gold fish frozen in customers small ponds. I asked a few and they told me that when spring time came along they would just swim around like nothing happened.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangai Cardinal dying from old age. These fish have a lifespan of only 3 or 4 years, this one maybe 5 years old. Bangai's have one of the shortest lifespans of all fish although some will live longer. His mate died a while ago and they spawned for their entire adult life. He has not eaten in a month (I am not sure if he is drinking) You can see his fins are starting to deteriorate, he is breathing very slow, his scales are not smooth as silk and his top fin is getting shorter. Also, a fish dying of old age shows no signs of disease until later in this process when their immune system starts to mis function. Then he may exhibit spots and the other fish will pick on him. He will find a hole to rest in and the bristleworms will then grab him and it will be all over. I will catch him just before that happens and remove him.
This is the way just about all fish die from old age which probably never happens in the sea.

Here he is with his main squeeze in their younger days.

Hey Paul, I'm losing one of mine now. I thought the mate was beating on him/her and that was the cause, but not really sure. I can't tell which is male and which is female.

what is the estimated age that these are sold in stores? Mine weren't quite full size when purchased and I've had them about a year. I've seen them sold prett small much smaller than the size I bought them. Also, how can you tell the sex, and will they change their sex like many other marine fish?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve I can't tell the sex unless the two of them are together and one is carrying eggs. They look the same for me but the male probably has a slightly bigger mouth to house the babies. I think the dime sized ones sold are maybe 5 or 6 months old, but that is just a guess. If they only live 2 or 3 years, they have to age quickly.

I won't get any more fish of any type until after I move in a few months. I may lost the ones I have depending on if the moves come in the same week. Me moving out and into my new place and the new people moving here

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve I can't tell the sex unless the two of them are together and one is carrying eggs. They look the same for me but the male probably has a slightly bigger mouth to house the babies. I think the dime sized ones sold are maybe 5 or 6 months old, but that is just a guess. If they only live 2 or 3 years, they have to age quickly.

I won't get any more fish of any type until after I move in a few months. I may lost the ones I have depending on if the moves come in the same week. Me moving out and into my new place and the new people moving here

Yeah thats what I was thinking but hoped you had some info I hadn't heard.

I think the one is just beating up on the other in the courtship. Poor thing has been there a few times now and always makes a comeback. Still living for now...

Thanks Paul and best wishes in your move bro!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my spawning pair.

About 2 to 3 yrs old now
dc0166671e49e86f2373b6bd21d5e457.jpg

f822e80fc113dfea2c1c01b622fc73ab.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back