Bangai dying of old age.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard losing any pet including our fish. At least he lived a long happy life and will soon reunite with his partner. I always loved the way they looked. Beautiful fish.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During “courtship” the one that is getting “dominated” gets darker in the body the light vertical stripes are muddy. I just checked and seem like “hes” still hanging in there. Hasn’t eaten in about a week. The mouth is gaped open some but I dont believe its from heavy breathing. So maybe holding? Im familiar with mouthbrooders. Ive been breeding cichlids. Guess ill keep my eyes open. Ie heard once they are released they become food quickly. Ive got 4 wrasse and 2 anthias, and 2 clowns that chow everything in site.

Paul, do you witness much aggression from the female during courtship?

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair and one day a friend was looking at the tank and asked about the little silver thing under a rock ledge. I thought he was talking about an adult. Finally I looked and to my surprise it was s baby maybe 1/4” tall. So he survived among crabs, CBS, large emperor angel. Then one day it disappeared and thought he was dinner. A few days later I found in him my sump! But he disappeared for good a while later. I could never get it out of the sump. But I’m amazed how it got to the overflow (never saw it that high in the tank), then avoided the drip tray in the wet/dry section (maybe it was dirty enough that it had some flow over the edges), then got thru all the bio balls and down to the bottom where there was the opening to the return side of the sump.

It was certainly a survivor!

IronChefItaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are truly fantastic fish from every perspective. Thank you for sharing their story. From the sounds of it they were very fortunate to live under your care.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve I never witnessed aggression from either of them. Except for their short lifespan they are the perfect fish. They always spawn and the babies are easier than guppies to raise, they eat large amounts of almost anything, they don't jump out and stay in the front. Very nice fish. Too bad they are getting rare. We really need to breed them for the trade in stead of taking them from the sea.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve I never witnessed aggression from either of them. Except for their short lifespan they are the perfect fish. They always spawn and the babies are easier than guppies to raise, they eat large amounts of almost anything, they don't jump out and stay in the front. Very nice fish. Too bad they are getting rare. We really need to breed them for the trade in stead of taking them from the sea.

Thanks Paul. Well these are being captive bred. Have been for awhile.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul. Well these are being captive bred. Have been for awhile.

Yes I know, but not enough of them as they are still collected.

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my favorite fish in the ocean.... It’s a great thing that you have provided him with conditions in which he has been able to exceed his usual life span! Kudos Paul!

Lofr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity - do Pajama Cardinals have a similar lifespan? I am about to make first adds to a tank and have settled on one of these 2...

Am wondering the same thing. Just got a pajama myself - a young one.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I'm afraid will go down this road before too long. He's such a great fish. I bought him when he was already full grown so I know he has to be at least a couple years old.

I'll continue to keep him fat and happy.

snappa1953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangai Cardinal dying from old age. These fish have a lifespan of only 3 or 4 years, this one maybe 5 years old. Bangai's have one of the shortest lifespans of all fish although some will live longer. His mate died a while ago and they spawned for their entire adult life. He has not eaten in a month (I am not sure if he is drinking) You can see his fins are starting to deteriorate, he is breathing very slow, his scales are not smooth as silk and his top fin is getting shorter. Also, a fish dying of old age shows no signs of disease until later in this process when their immune system starts to mis function. Then he may exhibit spots and the other fish will pick on him. He will find a hole to rest in and the bristleworms will then grab him and it will be all over. I will catch him just before that happens and remove him.
This is the way just about all fish die from old age which probably never happens in the sea.

Here he is with his main squeeze in their younger days.

I have noticed my Cardinal has some white growth on his tail fin which is eroded away I guess. I've had it for two years so it could be "old" now.

Other non Cardinal tank mates are fine.

Any ideas please?
f8d5ab20189d7d8b895c45f15cbb263c.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like fungus from here. When fish get to old their immune system wanes.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he still wearing Pajamas?
Only Bangai's have that short lifespan, other cardinals can live much longer.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pajama cardinal for at least 8 years now.

I had a Captive Bred one from ORA that just died. Only lived 3.5 years. Not sure if I did anything wrong or it was just luck of the draw.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats their normal lifespan.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair back in 2015 and they're still breeding, so they should be around 7 years old. They have 7 of their kids living with them.

I've read a report of someone who had a 10 year old male, the female died a few years before.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that a Bangai cardinal that lived 10 years? If it is, that is interesting and maybe the information is wrong.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back