Bangaii not eating

Backto6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bangaii 2 weeks ago and he still wont eat? What should I feed him? I've tried premium brine and mysis soaked with selcon.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried some bigger stuff? my bangaii loves big chunks of frozen. mysis ought to do it, but mine also loves stuff like masstick just a small chunk of it floating on by

if all else fails, if you can find live blackworms my bangaii mowed those things down with a purpose when i had fed them

OP
OP
B

Backto6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ima have to take a crack at live worms ig. I tried giving him a whole chunk but he didnt care

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only have one solo, but is it possible it's carrying babies? i've heard the males carry the young for quite awhile and can't eat while they carry them, or it could just not be eating and there could be some kind of disease issue

OP
OP
B

Backto6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only have one solo, but is it possible it's carrying babies? i've heard the males carry the young for quite awhile and can't eat while they carry them, or it could just not be eating and there could be some kind of disease issue
Hes just stubborn because I've been treating for flukes, IP, and ick. His poops are not see through but thin

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When bangaiis ate breeding, the male will carry the babies anywhere between 21 days to a whole month. The whole time, the male wont eat. It's pretty apparent when they have babies because their jaws extend like ztan Smith from American dad. Here's a pic of my male with babies
20191124_115114.jpg

OP
OP
B

Backto6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When bangaiis ate breeding, the male will carry the babies anywhere between 21 days to a whole month. The whole time, the male wont eat. It's pretty apparent when they have babies because their jaws extend like ztan Smith from American dad. Here's a pic of my male with babies
20191124_115114.jpg
Yeah mine looks nothing like that I'm trying to see if any bait shop sells live worms

OP
OP
B

Backto6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh, well figured it was worth a thought

hopefully it's just being difficult in QT.
He MIGHT be eating the left overs. Bc theirs 2 other fish in their and see the left overs disappear at night.

KittieKatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend asking the store where you got it what they were feeding it. and if they had success with that food. I have found some chain pet stores only use foods with garlic and have seen some fish get to the point of only eating foods with garlic..

I have used Marine Cuisine in most of my tanks.. my Banggai loves it.. He also does the small pellets of slow sinking food. I have noticed he will not eat while my clowns are actively eating.. Sometimes doing two feeding spots one for the more active eaters and one for the more shy eaters works to help them get food too.. I have noticed as well my Banggai will not eat from the ground or surface.. only while it is free floating..

OP
OP
B

Backto6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend asking the store where you got it what they were feeding it. and if they had success with that food. I have found some chain pet stores only use foods with garlic and have seen some fish get to the point of only eating foods with garlic..

I have used Marine Cuisine in most of my tanks.. my Banggai loves it.. He also does the small pellets of slow sinking food. I have noticed he will not eat while my clowns are actively eating.. Sometimes doing two feeding spots one for the more active eaters and one for the more shy eaters works to help them get food too.. I have noticed as well my Banggai will not eat from the ground or surface.. only while it is free floating..
i bought some marine cuisine and ima try it tonight, i asked the pet store and he said that they eat mysis shrimp yet mine dosen't -_-

KittieKatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought some marine cuisine and ima try it tonight, i asked the pet store and he said that they eat mysis shrimp yet mine dosen't -_-
Most pet shops feed pellet or flake food. The other thing may be if you got it right after they did.. it may have not eaten there either.. may have to see what the distributor was feeding.. sometimes when they are raised on one food they have issue taking on another for a while.. a mixed diet is always best for them anyway so can mix in what they were feeding with some of the fresher frozen stuff.. most distributors and pet stores feed pellet and flake because it is cheaper and only feed frozen on species where they have to..

They do normally do eat that kinda stuff.. I know mine is still on the small side and so it likes the smaller bits and does not like the larger bits when I put the Marine Cuisine in my tank.. He will also eat the tiny pin head size pellets..

KittieKatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed LRS I haven’t seen a fish not eat it .
I have never tried that stuff... I may have to look for it to try it.. a little reading up on it makes it sound like wonderful stuff.. are you doing the pellet or frozen?

KittieKatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen always get the frozen.
I usually feed 75% frozen with a small bit of pellets here and there.. I know feeding variety was always best for keeping my tanks healthy in the past.. Are you doing the reef blend or which ones? do you buy direct and have it shipped or do you have a local source?

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed 75% frozen with a small bit of pellets here and there.. I know feeding variety was always best for keeping my tanks healthy in the past.. Are you doing the reef blend or which ones? do you buy direct and have it shipped or do you have a local source?

I feed pellets/flake and frozen as well
But the LRS I buy frozen at my LFS.
You shouldn’t have it shipped.

Rods food is also very good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back