Bangarang Build Waterbox Frag 145.5

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3A6BF0C4-CFA3-4EBC-8232-527C3563420C.jpeg
Cycling. Biomedia used are the spheres and plates from MarinePure. MicroBacter Quickcylc and Start XLM from Brightwell.

97C23323-BF66-4558-87E3-AA54B85475A7.jpeg
There is a removable baffle that comes with the sump. Unfortunately, the weir section on it is too high causing the water level to also increase in the ReefMat section (prematurely triggering the roll). Baffle will stay out for now until I get it cut shorter.

Once the cycle is done. Next steps will include running the ReefMat and placing the Skimmer, along with a clean up crew and some hardy fishes.
Did you cut the baffle shorter ? if so can you add a pic with a line on it? ie) I have a WB 180 and got a ReefMat 1200, will remove the original sock glass and curious if I have to do anything else too.

OP
OP
C4Rez

C4Rez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I never placed the removable baffle back in. I ordered a custom acrylic one from Melevsreef (I just gave the dimensions) and had the weir start at 10”. Turned out that was still too high and triggered the sensor early on the RM500. Probably should have had the weir start at 8.5”? Anyways, I removed that one too and just kept the baffle out completely. It’s been working great. I don’t know the specs of the WB180 sump or the RM1200, so I can’t really help you out much. However, I can say, it works fine without the baffle. Flow through the sump is more than adequate.

The ReefMat works so well that I have the skimmer on only at night for 8hrs now (24/7 kept my nitrates and phos too low).

OP
OP
C4Rez

C4Rez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef PAR Kessil A360WE T5.jpg

PAR Meter Epogee SQ-420

For this 5' tank (16" tall), I'm utilizing Kessil A360WE x3 moved over from previous builds, and T5 x4 via DX18 Hybrid Light Fixture. Kessils ramp up and down for 10 hrs, with 100% intensity for 4 hrs; T5 bulbs on for only 2 hrs as of now. PAR pretty much doubles when those T5s turn on. As of now, those older Kessils are adequate for softies and LPS; however, I'll need to consider upgrading when introducing SPS.

Anyone got suggestions for some starter SPS in the meantime? Looks like I have a few spots that are 250-300 PAR.

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I just ordered a WB infinitia 275. Love what you did with the shelf and the control board in the stand. Still thinking about the sock vs rollermat debate….. if I run a Fuge with some macro algae the slow release nutrients in a sock might be better….. still debating it all. Nice job though looks clean and slick.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bali green slimer in about 300 at max lights and 225 near lights off. So far it’s my only sps and it’s doing good, opening everyday and nice bright green. I don’t really know anything about keeping sps but I made sure to read before getting this one and they say it’s one of the best starter sps. I’d try that out and see how it works

OP
OP
C4Rez

C4Rez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I just ordered a WB infinitia 275. Love what you did with the shelf and the control board in the stand. Still thinking about the sock vs rollermat debate…..
Thanks! Those WB Infinia models are a beaut. A fuge would be awesome with that setup without a rollermat. RM has its pros and cons. Convenience just won me over.

OP
OP
C4Rez

C4Rez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kactai , RM + Refugium is a delight.

So with 17 fish in a 100g display, my bioload has crept up. Skimmer is back up to 24/7. RM averaging 3-5 weeks a roll so far. Nitrates 35, Phos 0.25 before Refugium. Im also still keeping Dino’s (SCA) at bay. I’ve recently added a 25W UV which I’ll discuss in a later update.

So I added the refugium section back! A few changes were made since the weir on the custom baffle was still too high. Have it up for about a month now. In that time my Phos has dropped from 0.25 to 0.1. Nitrates 20.

71D9DAAD-D46E-4807-9EC7-4386F70BFFF7.jpeg
Turned the RM around. Increased the height using a 3/4” acrylic rod so sensor doesn’t trigger as often. Moved all bioballs into that first chamber to house pods, sponges, etc.
081D7ECC-2E68-4CD5-B61E-C7CDC14130FB.jpeg
Placed a cover for the Kessil H160 to control the light bleeding out into the other chambers. Added a small wave maker to tumble the Pompom macroalgae. H160 is 100%, dialed in between Grow/Bloom. Opposite light schedule with display.

It’s aesthetically pleasing. Pompom grows slow as well. My tangs will only eat it if the Nori isn’t available.

OP
OP
C4Rez

C4Rez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank turns ONE!

IMG_3649.jpeg
IMG_3650.jpeg IMG_3652.jpeg IMG_3607.jpeg IMG_3606.jpeg

Will definitely need to follow up with an ICP test from ATI. The parameters as of now (all via HANNA):
Salinity 1.026
pH 8.0
dKH 8.4
Nitrate 20.4
Phos 0.080
Cal 469
Mag 1405

Still only dosing All-for-Reef. Reactor running both Carbon and GFO (less than recommended). And of course, loving the UV - clear water, dinos and nuisance algae under control, and fish appear healthy. Coraline algae also starting to grow.

Got things dialed in for LPS; however, still running into issues with maintaining SPS. I may just need to update the lights (goal will be to switch out to Radion XR30 x3 to replace the A360WE x3 by Year TWO). Or maybe the tank just needs to mature a bit more?

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank turns ONE!

IMG_3649.jpeg
IMG_3650.jpeg IMG_3652.jpeg IMG_3607.jpeg IMG_3606.jpeg

Will definitely need to follow up with an ICP test from ATI. The parameters as of now (all via HANNA):
Salinity 1.026
pH 8.0
dKH 8.4
Nitrate 20.4
Phos 0.080
Cal 469
Mag 1405

Still only dosing All-for-Reef. Reactor running both Carbon and GFO (less than recommended). And of course, loving the UV - clear water, dinos and nuisance algae under control, and fish appear healthy. Coraline algae also starting to grow.

Got things dialed in for LPS; however, still running into issues with maintaining SPS. I may just need to update the lights (goal will be to switch out to Radion XR30 x3 to replace the A360WE x3 by Year TWO). Or maybe the tank just needs to mature a bit more?
Tank looks great after one year!

OP
OP
C4Rez

C4Rez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3863.jpeg

Just a short update. Got some great G5 Radion XR30 Blues from @Blue Tang Clan a few months ago. Great guy! I would definitely work with him again. So happy I purchased shades for the XR30s as well; these are BRIGHT!

The lights are still only at 37%. Maybe a couple more months and I can hit my goal of 40%. PAR is more than I need for this mixed reef that is mostly LPS. Not even using the T5 bulbs. I’ll post more details later with PAR numbers.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3863.jpeg

Just a short update. Got some great G5 Radion XR30 Blues from @Blue Tang Clan a few months ago. Great guy! I would definitely work with him again. So happy I purchased shades for the XR30s as well; these are BRIGHT!

The lights are still only at 37%. Maybe a couple more months and I can hit my goal of 40%. PAR is more than I need for this mixed reef that is mostly LPS. Not even using the T5 bulbs. I’ll post more details later with PAR numbers.
Tank is looking great! Shades look good too!

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_3863.jpeg

Tank looks gorgeous!!!

Back