Banggai and Pajama Cardinal hybrid

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Fish-mom I really believe people are trying to help you. I removed a few posts and ask that everyone please adhere to our TOS as there were a few posts that were not so nice.

Thanks for joking fish-mom and hope you stick around to really get a feel for our community. It’s really a great one.

OP
OP
F

Fish-mom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don’t see the joke here?

I maintain my stance on the initial pictures being of frozen mysis and not, in fact, cardinalfish eggs.
Well, I guess I will know in a couple of weeks ‍♀️. I started my search online thinking he was sick and trying to find out what could be wrong with him, but with what I found (and the stuff that came out of his mouth after he hasn't been eating) made me think he was holding. He hasn't eaten in over a week, has secluded himself and only moves when I reach in to put algae on the clip he is next to for my Tang... I thought he was sick at first but temperature is good, salt level is good, Ph is good... I thought if it was swim belly he would be near the filter.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole thread is a bunch of nonsense and nothing but a hoax!

Pajama cardinals and Banggai cardinals could never have offspring together, not just because they are not closely enough related but also because their reproductive strategies are very different and incompatible. Banggais lay a few very large eggs that sustain the larvae all the way through metamorphosis to large juveniles while Pajamas lay a large amount of small eggs of which small pelagic larvae hatch. There is no way these two would even consider spawning with each other, let alone produce anything viable.

Plus the "baby" pictures clearly show mysid heads.

You've been had!
It's a HOAX!
Fake news!
Nonsense!

Last edited:

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since the Banggai is holding, then the pajama is the one that laid the eggs. Hundreds of tiny eggs (unlike Banggai that lay 40-60 large), fertilization is external and they should be released day eight as pelagic larvae. Like stated above the tiny eggs won't sustain them more than 9 or 10 days. You think he will release them at 8 days as pelagic larvae like PJ, 20+ days like banggai, or somewhere in between? A picture of the male holding may help your story "hold water".

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
banggais and pyjamas are from different genuses, and that is a mysis. if that was possible for fish from very different genus of fish to breed (clowns and maroons have been reported), the babies of a banggai look like full grown adults when released and pyjamas's look like normal fish fry larvae, ie a small glass fragment which may or maynot be eyes

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
banggais and pyjamas are from different genuses, and that is a mysis. if that was possible for fish from very different genus of fish to breed (clowns and maroons have been reported), the babies of a banggai look like full grown adults when released and pyjamas's look like normal fish fry larvae, ie a small glass fragment which may or maynot be eyes
Several relatively recent genetic studies have shown that clownfish (ocellaris & percula) and maroons are without question the same genus and in the same sub clade/branch/group and that Premnas is not a valid genus but rather a synonym. That the taxonomists not yet have caught up with those findings doesn't really matter.
And for what it's worth, all Amphiprion are still quite close in genetics and have near identical reproductive biologies so that wild and artificial hybrids are not just possible but proven.

Banggais and pajamas on the other hand are quite far from each other as you correctly stated.
More importantly, their reproductive biologies have diverged so much that I seriously doubt they would even recognize each other as mates, let alone being able to successfully mate.

Then there is the fine detail that the supposed offspring obviously is the head of a frozen freshwater mysis.

And on top of all of this all these outlandish claims where made in the first post of a new member who is still defending all those claims despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary...

I call shenanigans.

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fish-mom I really believe people are trying to help you. I removed a few posts and ask that everyone please adhere to our TOS as there were a few posts that were not so nice.

Thanks for joking fish-mom and hope you stick around to really get a feel for our community. It’s really a great one.
Thank you for cutting it short. Things were going in the WRONG direction.

Back