Banggai cardinal fish or Pajama Cardinal Fish for 20 gallon?

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

In a 20 gallon tank I plan to have a pair of clownfish. Is it better to be with a banggai cardinal fish or a pajama cardinal fish?

Why on liveaquaria its listed banggai for 30 gallons and pajama cardinals for 20 gallons? They are both 3 inches.
Are the banggai cardinal more aggressive then the PJ cardinal?

thanks

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why on liveaquaria its listed banggai for 30 gallons and pajama cardinals for 20 gallons?

My guess is because the pajama cardinal is much less active. Just kind of hangs out. I had a pajama cardinal in a 29 biocube with a clown and long nose hawkfish. No problem. Moved him to a much bigger tank with tangs, meanaurus wrasse , flame hawk, etc... and still no problem. He was completely fearless. Always out and about, just not real active. Mine got to about 3" before he died suddenly for no apparent reason. I had him for about 4 years.

I would go with the pajama, but I guess I'm biased.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is because the pajama cardinal is much less active. Just kind of hangs out. I had a pajama cardinal in a 29 biocube with a clown and long nose hawkfish. No problem. Moved him to a much bigger tank with tangs, meanaurus wrasse , flame hawk, etc... and still no problem. He was completely fearless. Always out and about, just not real active. Mine got to about 3" before he died suddenly for no apparent reason. I had him for about 4 years.

Never thought of them being less active lol. The banggai don’t look too active either. Do you currently keep any pajama cardinals right now?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of them being less active lol. The banggai don’t look too active either. Do you currently keep any pajama cardinals right now?
No. Since Frank died, I've thought about it, but I'm pretty happy with my current stocking.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a 20 gallon waterbox enough to have 2 clownfish and 2 pajama cardinals? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pajama much more versatile and hardy

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a 20 gallon waterbox enough to have 2 clownfish and 2 pajama cardinals? Thanks
Might be pushing the limit in terms of bioload. Should be okay as long as you keep up with water changes and don't overfeed. I'd go with the smaller clowns like ocellarus clowns and add the cardinals first. A pair of mated clowns can get pretty aggressive. If the clowns aren't defending territory against new arrivals, you'll have a better chance for success.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pair of pajamas. :D They are probably around 7 or 8 years old. I have caught the male with eggs in the mouth once. They are so chill.

I would say they are about the size of my palm. The male and female can chase each other from one end to the other of the 180 on occasion. Not sure if it is something to do with part of the breeding? But usually they hover.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest PJs from a conservation standpoint. The Bangaii are a threatened species. PJs are tank bred these days in many cases. Something to consider always when looking into livestock options is the source populations, locations and methods.
Yea, that is true. I know the banggai are also captive bred but I do see way more pjs available online

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be pushing the limit in terms of bioload. Should be okay as long as you keep up with water changes and don't overfeed. I'd go with the smaller clowns like ocellarus clowns and add the cardinals first. A pair of mated clowns can get pretty aggressive. If the clowns aren't defending territory against new arrivals, you'll have a better chance for success.
Yes, i would do weekly 10 percent water change and make sure just to feed them just enough. I plan on getting them on liveaquaria through ora

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pair of pajamas. :D They are probably around 7 or 8 years old. I have caught the male with eggs in the mouth once. They are so chill.

I would say they are about the size of my palm. The male and female can chase each other from one end to the other of the 180 on occasion. Not sure if it is something to do with part of the breeding? But usually they hover.
That’s a big tank you think it’s to much to have 2 clowns and 2 pjs in a 20 gallon ? Thanks

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 4 of both. Put both groups in as small juveniles. My Bangaiis were constantly breeding. There always seemed to be a male with eggs in it's mouth. I even caught a baby in the overflow and managed to raise it in the sump by feeding cylopeeze. Eventually they all died (after about 4 years). 10 years later all 4 of my pyjamas are going strong. So I feel from a hardiness standpoint, all things being equal, the pyjamas win.
From an interesting standpoint, they are both very boring. Just hover in place. Don't really interact with anyone, including each other. Cool patterns though.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 4 of both. Put both groups in as small juveniles. My Bangaiis were constantly breeding. There always seemed to be a male with eggs in it's mouth. I even caught a baby in the overflow and managed to raise it in the sump by feeding cylopeeze. Eventually they all died (after about 4 years). 10 years later all 4 of my pyjamas are going strong. So I feel from a hardiness standpoint, all things being equal, the pyjamas win.
From an interesting standpoint, they are both very boring. Just hover in place. Don't really interact with anyone, including each other. Cool patterns though.
That’s good that they don’t move too much in a 20 gallon tank! I need my clowns to use the tank space more lol.
so PJs are hardier and they live much longer!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bangis are prettier. I like the red eyes of pjs though. Niether! Get cardinals no one else has. Ive seen 2 or 3 other cardinal fish variations. They are not active swimmers. They sit in one spot mostly and hover in the water coloum. Kinda like dartfish or firefish.
D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back