Banggai Cardinals Pair Troubles

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got 2 Banggai Cardinals about 4 days ago and the larger of the two bullies the smaller one.

The larger one is definitely a male while the smaller one seems to be too small to sex, but appears to only have one vent while the other larger one clearly has two vents.

It's weird because when I disturb the tank they will school up with each other for protection, they also seem to eat fine togther, it's just every once in a while the larger one will nip at the smaller one if it gets too close to him.

Is this normal? Will pairs do this?

Gave myself some options and want your input.

1: Return the smaller one to the pet store and pick up a KNOWN female of similar size and hope they get along this time.

2: Return the smaller one and buy a mated pair of Skunk Clowns they have at the store currently and let the solitary male live it out alone. (Can Banggai Cardinals thrive alone?)

3: Return the smaller one for a different calm fish like a Firefish for example.

4: Buy a 3rd Cardinal fish that is confirmed Female and let then pair off then return the odd one out.

Thoughts?

Also thing I learned about their diet: only eating small frozen food. Won't touch flakes or pellets, but a small frozen medley of like small shrimp and veggies they seem to like.

Back