Banner fish white spots??

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In blue LED I see some white spots on wimple. Not sure if these are parasites. But the fish is active and taking feed
IMG_20181021_234612.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been that way? When was the last time something was added to the tank? I would be concerned. Could be velvet and if so quick action is needed. Move all fish over to a quarantine, give them a freshwater dip to help relieve them of symptoms as you move them. And treat with copper for 30 days with a fallow period of 76 days.

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been that way? When was the last time something was added to the tank? I would be concerned. Could be velvet and if so quick action is needed. Move all fish over to a quarantine, give them a freshwater dip to help relieve them of symptoms as you move them. And treat with copper for 30 days with a fallow period of 76 days.
I am just moving one by one now. Looks like most of them are affected. Already Sebae clownfish is affected with poppy eye, not sure if all are from the same bacterial infection. One angel died this morning in DT

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things kill fish rapidly: velvet and gram negative bacterial infections. You have to act quickly for velvet to save your fish. As Crabs already posted.
1. Freshwater dip to remove many of the parasites from your fish's gills. It's important to help the fish to breathe properly so it's immune system can fight the many parasites attacking it.
2. Bath in an acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that helps with the many insertion points from the parasite. This step greatly increases survival rates.
3. Treat with copper for 30 days.
4. Treat with an antibiotic like Kanaplex at the same time as the copper to fight off bacterial infections while the fish's immune system is weak.

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things kill fish rapidly: velvet and gram negative bacterial infections. You have to act quickly for velvet to save your fish. As Crabs already posted.
1. Freshwater dip to remove many of the parasites from your fish's gills. It's important to help the fish to breathe properly so it's immune system can fight the many parasites attacking it.
2. Bath in an acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that helps with the many insertion points from the parasite. This step greatly increases survival rates.
3. Treat with copper for 30 days.
4. Treat with an antibiotic like Kanaplex at the same time as the copper to fight off bacterial infections while the fish's immune system is weak.
Tried my best but couldn't save both. Within 2 days, the infection started to spread rapidly and skin colour changed completely. Both died in 2 days and I lost the emperor angel and smoke angel as well. I have moved all the other fishes to Qt now and treating them. How do you differentiate if it's brook, velvet or Ich?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size and frequency of the spots, combined with the timeframe of death all looks like velvet. The clown could have a secondary infection from the parasites or a separate issue. I agree with @Big G treatment plan.

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some additional pics?

It sounds more like velvet now.
These are some pictures taken after they died. I tried treating them with copper but after one dose they all died in few hours. Sabea survived a night but next day the infection was all over its skin and with swollen eyes it wasn't able to see.
IMG_20181022_202009.jpeg
IMG_20181022_194122.jpeg
IMG_20181021_102809.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see much on the 1st and 3rd pictures but the 2nd pic sure looks like velvet. Sorry for your losses :(

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s velvet. Sorry for your losses :(

I agree with fast treatment in copper and I’d dip any remaining fish in methelyn blue before treating in copper.

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s velvet. Sorry for your losses :(

I agree with fast treatment in copper and I’d dip any remaining fish in methelyn blue before treating in copper.
My wimple also died this morning :(
IMG_20181026_080704.jpeg

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed the last 2 infected percula from DT and transferred it to QT for treatment. Currently I have only one bubbletip anemone in DT and nothing else. My question is How many days should I cycle to remove all parasites from the tank? Should I run with lights completely off? Any specific parameters that I should keep to quickening the process like low salinity, running without skimmer, change carbon frequently etc.,

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed the last 2 infected percula from DT and transferred it to QT for treatment. Currently I have only one bubbletip anemone in DT and nothing else. My question is How many days should I cycle to remove all parasites from the tank? Should I run with lights completely off? Any specific parameters that I should keep to quickening the process like low salinity, running without skimmer, change carbon frequently etc.,
Velvet is gone in 6weeks.

Just let the tank run as normal. No fish is what starves the parasites out.

76 days for a complete fallow period to make sure there is no ich hanging out.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Not Wimple too :( Bannerfish are so majestic. Sorry for your loss. After 76 {long, boring} days, don’t put any fish in there you aren’t 100% sure about (meaning properly quarantined), or you will suffer this pain many more times :(

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is gone in 6weeks.

Just let the tank run as normal. No fish is what starves the parasites out.

76 days for a complete fallow period to make sure there is no ich hanging out.
Will run for 76 compete days to make sure no parasites stays there. One of my friend suggested hot water dip of Sandbed and filter media (I use crushed coral rocks, picture attached) and replace all pipes, filter sponge and carbon. Will that work?
IMG-20180918-WA0000.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back