Banngai bloated stomach

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody help me identify what could be going on with my Banngi Cardinal? I noticed his belly was bloated yesterday and his anus was sticking out of his body a bit and he wouldn’t eat as normal. Today I came home from work to inspect him and noticed this! It looks like his intestines protruding out…? I do have some 10 gallon tanks that I can set up quickly as QT. I do have different meds on hand. Any help or possibilities for me to research would be greatly appreciated. I’m thinking maybe try to catch him and put him in a 10 gallon Hospital tank with some API General Cure that I have on hand. Many thanks.

16004322-A4BD-4A6D-AB07-F8A3BA4EA94A.jpeg 27A82E97-2877-4D62-81B3-8187DCB9E6F8.jpeg 618A1E81-B243-42D9-8C57-14B294CE9B5D.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can anybody help me identify what could be going on with my Banngi Cardinal? I noticed his belly was bloated yesterday and his anus was sticking out of his body a bit and he wouldn’t eat as normal. Today I came home from work to inspect him and noticed this! It looks like his intestines protruding out…? I do have some 10 gallon tanks that I can set up quickly as QT. I do have different meds on hand. Any help a lot possibilities for me to research would be greatly appreciated. I’m thinking maybe try to catch him and put him in a 10 gallon Hospital tank with some API General Cure that I have on hand. Many thanks.

16004322-A4BD-4A6D-AB07-F8A3BA4EA94A.jpeg 27A82E97-2877-4D62-81B3-8187DCB9E6F8.jpeg 618A1E81-B243-42D9-8C57-14B294CE9B5D.jpeg
While it looks like rectal prolapse, I see what may be Piscicolidae Worms which are round worms and best treated with formalin based medication such as quick cure or even ruby rally pro

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it looks like rectal prolapse, I see what may be Piscicolidae Worms which are round worms and best treated with formalin based medication such as quick cure or even ruby rally pro
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately with all these medications that I have here, I just checked and non of them have formalin in them. Do you think it would be beneficial to try to catch him and put him in a hospital tank and try General Cure…? I don’t want to stress him further if it’s not going to help. Being Thanksgiving tomorrow I’m pretty much SOL on getting a formalin medication tonight or tomorrow unfortunately. So bummed cause he is a super nice fish with super long fins and has always seemed so healthy

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately with all these medications that I have here, I just checked and non of them have formalin in them. Do you think it would be beneficial to try to catch him and put him in a hospital tank and try General Cure…? I don’t want to stress him further if it’s not going to help. Being Thanksgiving tomorrow I’m pretty much SOL on getting a formalin medication tonight or tomorrow unfortunately. So bummed cause he is a super nice fish with super long fins and has always seemed so healthy
Hospital would not hurt. If it’s eating, offer brine shrimp to serve as a laxative in case of blockage
Unfortunately pet stores likely closed tomorrow
If worms, a 5 min Freshwater dip may dislodge some
General cure may have little effect but better than No meds

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hospital would not hurt. If it’s eating, offer brine shrimp to serve as a laxative in case of blockage
Unfortunately pet stores likely closed tomorrow
If worms, a 5 min Freshwater dip may dislodge some
General cure may have little effect but better than No meds
Well, I’ve decided to wait until tomorrow. Unfortunately my saltwater bin was near empty and only had 4 gallons left. I’m mixing a new batch tonight. I’ll see how he’s doing in the morning and then proceed if necessary. Plan for now is to pull 10 gallons from the display and start him a hospital tank with a sponge filter asap tomorrow. Treat with GC since that’s the best I’ve got for now. Observe and then go on a research binge. Try to find proper meds and obviously keep them on hand for future unexpected issues. Sure hope he makes it through. Had him for 2.5 years, since the beginning of my saltwater journey. We’ll see. Thanks for your help

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well, I’ve decided to wait until tomorrow. Unfortunately my saltwater bin was near empty and only had 4 gallons left. I’m mixing a new batch tonight. I’ll see how he’s doing in the morning and then proceed if necessary. Plan for now is to pull 10 gallons from the display and start him a hospital tank with a sponge filter asap tomorrow. Treat with GC since that’s the best I’ve got for now. Observe and then go on a research binge. Try to find proper meds and obviously keep them on hand for future unexpected issues. Sure hope he makes it through. Had him for 2.5 years, since the beginning of my saltwater journey. We’ll see. Thanks for your help
Also I should mention, the extension can retract on its own

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a prolapse, or - it almost looks like a bundle of eggs, could it be egg bound?

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have this one Banngai but I have no idea if they can produce eggs if they are solo..? I feed a mix of TDO, True Life Spectrum, SeaWeed Extreme pellets in small feedings twice a day and one cube of frozen misis or brine once a day. He usually eats pretty normal and doesn’t seem to be a pig like some other fish. However he hasn’t eaten in about 3 days now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have this one Banngai but I have no idea if they can produce eggs if they are solo..? I feed a mix of TDO, True Life Spectrum, SeaWeed Extreme pellets in small feedings twice a day and one cube of frozen misis or brine once a day. He usually eats pretty normal and doesn’t seem to be a pig like some other fish. However he hasn’t eaten in about 3 days now.

Yes - they still produce eggs on their own (unfertilized) and that can cause egg binding, where the eggs harden and don't release properly. Their eggs are very large - you should be able to tell if these are eggs or intestinal tissue by closely looking at it (I just cant tell from a photo).

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - they still produce eggs on their own (unfertilized) and that can cause egg binding, where the eggs harden and don't release properly. Their eggs are very large - you should be able to tell if these are eggs or intestinal tissue by closely looking at it (I just cant tell from a photo).

Jay
It does kinda look like eggs. Little opaque balls with a white dot inside. Poor fish… looks like it’s tearing her stomach open.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble with these mechanical issues is that there is no treatment (other than surgery). As mentioned though, sometimes the prolapse gets retracted.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back