Baby Squirrel Fish question

Lalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a baby squirrel fish, and noticed a purple discoloration on the top of the head. Is this normal? I've had an adult squirrelfish before, and there was no purple on its head. It looks almost like a bruise.

20170624_165051.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look rather nasty. It does look the fish jumped at some point and hit something above. When fish are given good conditions, live food and their immune systems are fully functional, they often heal themselves. Stressed fish due to capture and transport may need some help. Back in the day, Methylene Blue was used to prevent fungal and bacterial infections.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know what he looks like from the side. Is it indented at all or is all the flesh there just discolored? I can't rightly tell. You could feed him some food soaked in metroplex and bound with seachem focus to ward off infection.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not overly concerned but I might source kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2 to be safe (amazon is what I use) if it doesn't improve over the next week.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back