bare bottom all the way

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added my rock back a week ago and added fish this morning, boy sure looks naked without sand and corals. what do you think
100_1383.jpg
100_1380.jpg
100_1381.jpg
couple shots of the fishys
100_1389.jpg
100_1385.jpg

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man. I like the look of a bare bottom, it just takes some getting used to. You are brave man not putting any starboard down to protect the glass. I wouldn't have those kinda stones!!! I would have nightmares about it!!LOL!! Nice job though. Can't wait to see it with corals!!

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fish and I like the rock work
I don’t keep substrate in any of my tanks. IMO it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

OP
OP
msman825

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a piece of acrylic that i should have put under there. but i spot stuck the rock in places so i dont think she'll go anywere. I'm thinking about painting it

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Charlie! I would paint the back black or dark blue. I wouldn't worry about the bottom it will be covered in coralline pretty quickly.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have done bare bottom for years, especialy fish only, but some of the fish go crazy seeing there reflection. The only problem I really had is I had to scrape it with a razor every so often. I really think reef tanks need something for the crabs and shrimp to dig in.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 was bb for over a year in a glass tank w/o any starboard. No problems here. Just be sure the rock is stable and you will be fine.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done bare bottom for years, especialy fish only, but some of the fish go crazy seeing there reflection.

I am not 100% positive about this but Fish or anything else won't see a reflection unless there is a mirror or something reflective on the bottom of the tank. It's glass so won't they see through it like all the other glass panels. We see a reflection because the angle. ?? Is that correct?

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I am not 100% positive about this but Fish or anything else won't see a reflection unless there is a mirror or something reflective on the bottom of the tank. It's glass so won't they see through it like all the other glass panels. We see a reflection because the angle. ?? Is that correct?
I do not know, but the fish would look at the botom and go around and around like they was looking at there self.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know, but the fish would look at the botom and go around and around like they was looking at there self.

I guess it's possible, but I painted the bottom and back of mine black.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the rock-scaping Charlie. Nice black clowns too, and copperbanded butterfly fish are one of my faves.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back