Bare bottom cycle. First reef tank

Snowball44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first reef after 7 years of freshwater keeping. I do have a 1000 litre fresh water that I'm hoping to convert in the long run with another 200 litre to set up next. The first I'm setting up is a nano which has been up nearly 2 months with still high nitrate 80+. Fishless cycle bare bottom while ghost feeding. I'm doing two 50% water changes a week. I know bare bottom takes longer, how long can I expect? am I changing to much?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Bare bottoms take longer to mature but are more stable in the long run IMHO. I cycled good and long at just under 4 months. Probably not necessary but my method has always worked for me and never had the uglies. I cure my rock in totes before going in the tank though.
Change too much? How much change can you handle? That is the real question. Keep us posted and acquire an immense amount of patience and you'll do fine.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first reef after 7 years of freshwater keeping. I do have a 1000 litre fresh water that I'm hoping to convert in the long run with another 200 litre to set up next. The first I'm setting up is a nano which has been up nearly 2 months with still high nitrate 80+. Fishless cycle bare bottom while ghost feeding. I'm doing two 50% water changes a week. I know bare bottom takes longer, how long can I expect? am I changing to much?
Do you have a lot of rock or a bare min?
The more rock the quicker the cycle as there is more surface for bacteria to live on.
If you keep feeding the nitrate will stay high.
What sort of external filtration do you have?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently cycled my 130 gallon bare bottom, I put in two bottles of Fritzyme 900 and two 3 plus inch tangs the same day and presto, no amonia, tank cycled, no waiting.
I had never started a tank like that but it works.
5 months in, no fish loss. You will experience all the cycle Ugly issues but the tank will be able to sustain life immediately.
ZomboMeme 23022021133307.jpg

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You certaintely are jumping in the deep end! Bare bottom takes ALOT longer. I would estimate at least 8months -1 year before you are really established. Make sure you have the patience for this! But don't give up if thats what you want!

Hope you enjoy reefing!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Do you have a decent amount of rock in the tank? Bacteria has a harder time populating on glass. More porous materials are definitely needed and the more porous surface you have available the more bacteria has room to grow and spread.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back