Bare bottom cycle. First reef tank

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
You can get the UK banner here: Click “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first reef after 7 years of freshwater keeping. I do have a 1000 litre fresh water that I'm hoping to convert in the long run with another 200 litre to set up next. The first I'm setting up is a nano which has been up nearly 2 months with still high nitrate 80+. Fishless cycle bare bottom while ghost feeding. I'm doing two 50% water changes a week. I know bare bottom takes longer, how long can I expect? am I changing to much?
Welcome!

Glad you joined. Seems like you are already getting great feedback on this thread

OP
OP
Snowball44

Snowball44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of rock or a bare min?
The more rock the quicker the cycle as there is more surface for bacteria to live on.
If you keep feeding the nitrate will stay high.
What sort of external filtration do you have?
All in one with quit a bit of rock in and some in the filter section with some pourus media too.

OP
OP
Snowball44

Snowball44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to all. So after 2 months I checked yesterday and my nitrate has disappeared. Honestly like magic. I re tested today to make sure and around 5PPM I do think ill invest in the hannah checker in the future. Fish on the weekend

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6DDB825D-6541-4A78-ABEC-FD2CE843AB39.jpeg

Welcome aboard!
My Prostar 200 just made a year after starting up bare bottom last September.
Im presently cycling an SCA 150 for 2.5 months and should be ready in a couple of weeks from what I see
No additives other than ammonia.

Im happy with no stability in my 200 and decided to do the same in the 150.
Be patient and plan accordingly.
You’ll be rewarded in the long run

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first reef after 7 years of freshwater keeping. I do have a 1000 litre fresh water that I'm hoping to convert in the long run with another 200 litre to set up next. The first I'm setting up is a nano which has been up nearly 2 months with still high nitrate 80+. Fishless cycle bare bottom while ghost feeding. I'm doing two 50% water changes a week. I know bare bottom takes longer, how long can I expect? am I changing to much?
Welcome to R2R!!!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I moved your thread to this forum to get more responses tailored to your questions.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back