bare bottom - cycling, what is this thin film?

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Newbie here. Recently got my saltwater tank and setup it for cycling, about 4 days ago. Salinity and temp are correct and I decided to try fish flakes as ammonia source.

Its the fourth day and I am NOT noticing ammonia readings, however the water has become a little hazy. (I know without substrate, the cycling process will take longer)

I've also noticed this, please see the pics below. Its the bottom surface of the tank and there seems to be a thin layer of something.

You can clearly see some parts of the clear glass. Any idea what this would be?
IMG-7460.jpg
IMG-7461.jpg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Newbie here. Recently got my saltwater tank and setup it for cycling, about 4 days ago. Salinity and temp are correct and I decided to try fish flakes as ammonia source.

Its the fourth day and I am NOT noticing ammonia readings, however the water has become a little hazy. (I know without substrate, the cycling process will take longer)

I've also noticed this, please see the pics below. Its the bottom surface of the tank and there seems to be a thin layer of something.

You can clearly see some parts of the clear glass. Any idea what this would be?
IMG-7460.jpg
IMG-7461.jpg
Probably just some bacterial growth, both re: on the glass and in the water. Really hard to tell with blue lights. Any pics under white light?

Cycling with fish food is a pain, because it takes time to decompose and if you don't add enough, you might not really see much ammonia. But if you add too much, it might just spike one day to something ridiculous. So gotta make a decision to add more food or otherwise, depending on how things go.

OP
OP
R

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just some bacterial growth, both re: on the glass and in the water. Really hard to tell with blue lights. Any pics under white light?

Cycling with fish food is a pain, because it takes time to decompose and if you don't add enough, you might not really see much ammonia. But if you add too much, it might just spike one day to something ridiculous. So gotta make a decision to add more food or otherwise, depending on how things go.
Is this picture any better?

I think its bacteria too, cant see what else it could be, especially only after 4 days. IN which case, no need to "clean" it ?

Attachments

• IMG_7467.jpg
    IMG_7467.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 44

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this picture any better?

I think its bacteria too, cant see what else it could be, especially only after 4 days. IN which case, no need to "clean" it ?
Still can't tell with certainty, but anyways regardless of what it is you probably do not to clean it.

OP
OP
R

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't tell with certainty, but anyways regardless of what it is you probably do not to clean it.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

FYI:
I don't have any rock (live, dead or fake). I just got some artificial decor stones (?), (can see in the background)
I mixed my own saltwater and I use Ro/Di water to do it.

There is no brown colour, infact I cannot see any colour to it and am very tempted to rub it off but understand its likely to be some form of bacteria. There are parts of the floor which do not have this "bacterial" film, its just the original glass.
I'm using fish flakes as source of ammonia and originally thought it might be related to that (quality of the flakes) but it seems that surface scum is literally on the surface of the water and not on the tank floor as in my case. I've also literally only used a pinch of fish flakes once.

I have to assume its some form of bacterial bloom but no ammonia readings yet makes it confusing

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

FYI:
I don't have any rock (live, dead or fake). I just got some artificial decor stones (?), (can see in the background)
I mixed my own saltwater and I use Ro/Di water to do it.

There is no brown colour, infact I cannot see any colour to it and am very tempted to rub it off but understand its likely to be some form of bacteria. There are parts of the floor which do not have this "bacterial" film, its just the original glass.
I'm using fish flakes as source of ammonia and originally thought it might be related to that (quality of the flakes) but it seems that surface scum is literally on the surface of the water and not on the tank floor as in my case. I've also literally only used a pinch of fish flakes once.

I have to assume its some form of bacterial bloom but no ammonia readings yet makes it confusing
Well a bacterial bloom may be why there is no ammonia, given that bacteria do consume ammonia as a nitrogen source, beside an energy source.

Could be a combination of not enough fish food added (a pinch is very little) and anything produced is consumed.

What's your biomedia by the way? Aside from the artificial deco stones I guess.

OP
OP
R

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a bacterial bloom may be why there is no ammonia, given that bacteria do consume ammonia as a nitrogen source, beside an energy source.

Could be a combination of not enough fish food added (a pinch is very little) and anything produced is consumed.

What's your biomedia by the way? Aside from the artificial deco stones I guess.
My tank is a Peninsuala 15 Gallon AIO, so I am using their bio-balls, carbon and filter sponges that come with it.

I also got 2 bio blocks for the bacteria.

Do you reckon I should just add some more? or revert to ammonia solution? or wait a bit longer

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a Peninsuala 15 Gallon AIO, so I am using their bio-balls, carbon and filter sponges that come with it.

I also got 2 bio blocks for the bacteria.

Do you reckon I should just add some more? or revert to ammonia solution? or wait a bit longer
I would recommend using ammonia solution. Just so much easier, takes the guess work out of the process. Which bio blocks are you using? As in what brand and name? Also, what is the brand of the tank? Peninsula describes a tank configuration, not a name of a brand.

OP
OP
R

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get some ammonia solution then but will add some more flakes for now to continue the cycle.

buo blocks - mantis bio filter block
Tank - waterbox

thanks for the info!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get some ammonia solution then but will add some more flakes for now to continue the cycle.

buo blocks - mantis bio filter block
Tank - waterbox

thanks for the info!
Alrighty. If it's comparable to the MarinePure block then that should be ample biomedia for your aquarium, so that's a good thing. I reckon you're fine just following the typical cycling process with ammonia then, was just a bit worried that there may not be enough.

OP
OP
R

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty. If it's comparable to the MarinePure block then that should be ample biomedia for your aquarium, so that's a good thing. I reckon you're fine just following the typical cycling process with ammonia then, was just a bit worried that there may not be enough.
Thanks again!
I was also a bit lost with the amount of fish flakes to put it.

I guess I won’t touch the surface thing for now.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.8%
Back