Bare Bottom tank - I think I have to go back to sand :(

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it easy to scrape away the cyano and green algae and stuff from the marine board?

The cyano is slowly going away on its own as im getting my nutrient balance back in check ..... My Tangs do a pretty good job at grazing the bottom but i still have spots and patches here and there but its mostly coraline that is growing , now im also adding Re- Mag in my CaRx which im sure is adding more coraline ? I think once things start filling in the bottom will look much better

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re built my reef and went bare bottom because I was sick of trying adjust flow to keep sand clean and not blow around. I think your tank looks awesome! I use BRS two part and its decently priced IMO

alex77619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use KHG and let it control my Ca reactor. Never going back to dosing.
change.png

totalbiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am thinking of a bare bottom tank, but I have a question. What do you think of puting a tiny bed of sand in the tank? I am talking about 1 or 2 grains of sand deep. Do you think that will keep the coraline at bay? Has anyone done it this way? If so, how did it turn out?

Don

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a new 75 gallon rimless mostly SPS dominate tank and I was planning on using maybe one 20lb bag of larger grade sand. I'll mix in some of my established pink fiji smaller grade sand also, but the plan is to only cover maybe 2/3 of the bottom with sand. I've seen this approach in Evan Luos tank from Reef Builders youtube channel. Tons of flow and the sand should settle somewhere so snails and certain fish can still use it. Still some open area for corals to encrust on the bottom glass. I just hope the sand settles near my rock work to make it look a little more natural.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back