livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally understandable. This is why I

sorry I pressed post by accident.

Totally understandable idea. I have no idea is the acros will take to a new clade - this is the basis of my experiment. However, repopulation has been proven in a couple experiments. A paper done by Kinzie et al. 2001 (which I mentioned above) proved that a species of anemone repopulated after being bleached. However, the zooxanthellae they used is what is typically found in that particular anemone. If you are interested I defiantly recommend reading the paper, its what im basing most of my experiment off. Its quick and relatively easy to understand.

To counter this all, its been found that there are a multitude of different clades of zooxanthellae per coral host. SO, it could be said that each coral have every type, A-D, in their body.

Lastly, my experiment is also based off a hypothesis that is heavily debated in the reef science community. Its called the "Adaptive Bleaching Hypothesis". Bascially stating that "Bleaching provides an opportunity for the host to be repopulated with a different type of partner; frequent stress tends to favor a stress-resistant combination." Go and read W. Buddemeier and Daphne G. F paper on it who first coined the hypothesis in the 80's - its very insightful as to why corals bleach in the first place.
Can you provide a citation so I'm sure I'm reading the correct information you're referring to. I actually recall reading a publication which examined over 400 species of coral i believe and found that only 20 something percent could host more than one clade simultaneously.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I like research that's at least somewhat contradictory...it expands our knowledge to a far greater extent than repeating the same research which has already been proven

OP
OP
S

Savanna’sReefAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a citation so I'm sure I'm reading the correct information you're referring to. I actually recall reading a publication which examined over 400 species of coral i believe and found that only 20 something percent could host more than one clade simultaneously.
Lesser 2004 states "Additionally, many corals contain as many as two orthree species per host that appear to be ecologically segregated based on small-scalegradients in their physical environment"

OP
OP
S

Savanna’sReefAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you remember who did this and where it was published?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes please
Here's a screenshot...I actually saved the paper as a pdf at one point so it wasn't too hard to find...I'm not sure if i can upload the whole pdf on here as an attachment so i went online and searched the name. Here's a screenshot with what I mentioned in the abstract. Its open to the public so you can read it all if you'd like but your university probably give you access anyway since it's on Research Gate. Screenshot_2023-05-30-12-55-59-987_com.android.chrome.jpg

OP
OP
S

Savanna’sReefAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a screenshot...I actually saved the paper as a pdf at one point so it wasn't too hard to find...I'm not sure if i can upload the whole pdf on here as an attachment so i went online and searched the name. Here's a screenshot with what I mentioned in the abstract. Its open to the public so you can read it all if you'd like but your university probably give you access anyway since it's on Research Gate. Screenshot_2023-05-30-12-55-59-987_com.android.chrome.jpg
this is great, thank you! This is the first im hearing that corals wont change their symbionts but that doesnt mean its not true. Like I said the ABH is heavily debated so this is the other side. I will read this tomorrow as for I am brain fried after a 10 hour shift. Happy memorial day!

OP
OP
S

Savanna’sReefAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I add before my brain combusts, this paper was published in 06 where the paper I told you about was published in 04. Goes to show how much can change in science in just 2 years. This project has SO many contradictions simply because zooxanthellae are really hard to study. Ive analyzed over 20 papers so far and NONE of them have the same information. This paper will be added to my pile to analyze, but will have to wait for another day.

Thank you again!!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H
this is great, thank you! This is the first im hearing that corals wont change their symbionts but that doesnt mean its not true. Like I said the ABH is heavily debated so this is the other side. I will read this tomorrow as for I am brain fried after a 10 hour shift. Happy memorial day!
Happy Memorial Day! I'd actually love to discuss the study you're planning out further if that's agreeable with you. I know it's late there right now!

OP
OP
S

Savanna’sReefAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H

Happy Memorial Day! I'd actually love to discuss the study you're planning out further if that's agreeable with you. I know it's late there right now!
I am more than happy to elaborate!

Are you familiar/knowledgeable with anything research related? Do you have a marine science/biology background? Or are you just passionate about the hobby?

What questions do you have? I pretty much have my entire methods laid out but will do minor tweaking here and there depending on what new info I come across. My goal is to start cycling the tank January 1st of 2024 and get the coral in the tank the middle of that month so I cant start the bulk of my experiment February.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more than happy to elaborate!

Are you familiar/knowledgeable with anything research related? Do you have a marine science/biology background? Or are you just passionate about the hobby?

What questions do you have? I pretty much have my entire methods laid out but will do minor tweaking here and there depending on what new info I come across. My goal is to start cycling the tank January 1st of 2024 and get the coral in the tank the middle of that month so I cant start the bulk of my experiment February.
Yes I've got a degree in Environmental Science and have actually had a report I wrote alone regarding my own independent research I conducted alone published in an international magazine. So yes, I'm fairly well versed in what university research entails.
I was primarily just going to continue to discuss like we were previously doing. Why do you feel clade A is optimal? In a majority of corals I believe clade D is most heat tolerant.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had various questions like that primarily related to your methodology. I was actually going to talk over DM instead of the thread but whichever you'd prefer.

OP
OP
S

Savanna’sReefAndFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've got a degree in Environmental Science and have actually had a report I wrote alone regarding my own independent research I conducted alone published in an international magazine. So yes, I'm fairly well versed in what university research entails.
I was primarily just going to continue to discuss like we were previously doing. Why do you feel clade A is optimal? In a majority of corals I believe clade D is most heat tolerant.
Hell yea!! I'm super new to research. I initially came into undergrad wanting to be a vet. 3 years down the road and realized my passion for coral and invertebrate health outweighs my love for vet med.
I have honestly no idea how to use DM on this website. Can you send me a DM and i can explain why I want to use clade A?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back