Bare bottomtank

Danielson531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a bare bottom tank and have decided to put some sand down in the sump to get some bacterial benefits.... So my question is can I put a skimmer on top of a sand bed?

OP
OP
D

Danielson531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for your responses... Very helpful. Though I have already added the sand to the sump, I may end up taking it back out. I have just begun to cycle my tank so I have lots of time to get things working properly...

From what I was reading "though possibly false" is that I couldn't support such a big bio load without sand..?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a kato fuge... But isn't that in the sump?
Yes, but separated with a divider or separate receptacle. Since the media in the refugium is contained, you wouldn't have to worry about it interfering with other equipment in the sump.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for your responses... Very helpful. Though I have already added the sand to the sump, I may end up taking it back out. I have just begun to cycle my tank so I have lots of time to get things working properly...

From what I was reading "though possibly false" is that I couldn't support such a big bio load without sand..?
Most definetely false. Sand can certainly help, but far from essential. I dont have sand in my frag system(other than small tupperware full for wrasse). My biggest issue lately is getting nitrates and phosphates above 0.0.....and i feed a huge amount.

OP
OP
D

Danielson531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but separated with a divider or separate receptacle. Since the media in the refugium is contained, you wouldn't have to worry about it interfering with other equipment in the sump.
Hey I'm from Rocky mountains too!!! Lol San Luis valley. Bout you?

OP
OP
D

Danielson531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud I currently have a sump with an eight year old sand bed that’s about 6 inches deep. I have a skimmer on a (OG DIY PVC) skimmer stand right above the sand bed. Been working like that for years nitrate .2 Phosphate undetectable
Cool man cause I'm keeping it..... Looks cool and working fine. No problems with sump pump or anything else so far.

OP
OP
D

Danielson531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud I currently have a sump with an eight year old sand bed that’s about 6 inches deep. I have a skimmer on a (OG DIY PVC) skimmer stand right above the sand bed. Been working like that for years nitrate .2 Phosphate undetectable
Mines about 4 inches deep

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use the Refugium Mud and add it in with sand but to put a skimmer in with sand wouldn’t be good for the pump on the skimmer. I have barebottom tanks and only have live rock and ceramic biomedia in there. Way better than adding sand to a refugium

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back