Bare hands and QT medication

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been feeding a tiny fish in an unmedicated QT with my bare hands (I always wash them before and after). It would be difficult to feed the way I’ve been doing it as a surgical glove would fill water and the longer gloves I own are too thick to get the desired grip on the tiny bits of food (masstic & copepod powder, for example). Would it be stupid to put bare hands in a QT medicated with:

Prazipro?
Metro/Focus?
Copper Power?
Cupramine?

These are the only meds I own, but feel free to comment on the other major medications in your response. Thanks so much!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been feeding a tiny fish in an unmedicated QT with my bare hands (I always wash them before and after). It would be difficult to feed the way I’ve been doing it as a surgical glove would fill water and the longer gloves I own are too thick to get the desired grip on the tiny bits of food (masstic & copepod powder, for example). Would it be stupid to put bare hands in a QT medicated with:

Prazipro?
Metro/Focus?
Copper Power?
Cupramine?

These are the only meds I own, but feel free to comment on the other major medications in your response. Thanks so much!
Not necessarily but you offer a risk with body oils, perspiration, etc.
I spoon feed and have for over a decade as I used turkey baster previously

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Prazipro?
Metro/Focus?
Copper Power?
Cupramine?

The risk is not to you - its more to the fish - with your hands (though thats also extremely small). There are tools available for target feeding - that you could purchase?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue from the copper products. Some aquariums won’t allow divers in the water during prazi treatments. Metro in focus is not an issue, but is also an ineffective treatment unless you calculate the dose.
Jay

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a physician I can tell you that neither of those medication can be absorbed through intact skin in a miningful quantities during short exposure. You can discover though that you are allergic to some of those meds and have local reaction, albeit this is less likely. As others said, you can harm your fish more by introducing chemicals( soap,detergent) from your hands.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back