Barebottom Reefers vs Sand Bed Reefers: Which one are you?

Are you a sand bottom or a bare bottom reefer?

• Sand

Votes: 757 79.6%
  • Barebottom

Votes: 158 16.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 36 3.8%

• Total voters

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about the substrate or the non-substrate of your reef tank! Some reefers like the look of a sand bed and others like the maintenance of a barebottom reef. What about you? Let's talk about it today.

1. Are you a sand bottom or a bare bottom reefer?

2. Why do you choose one over the other?

image via @dr.dator
_MG_9740.jpg
I voted “other” since I use a combination of crushed coral substrate mixed with live sand. I think it looks good, is easy to clean and is a good place for copepods and live bacteria

SusQ_Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Are you a sand bottom or a bare bottom reefer?
Bare bottom

2. Why do you choose one over the other?

I love the look of sand but with SPS nothing beats bare bottom. Don't have to worry about the sand blowing around and creating bare spots or covering coral.

pjb9166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand Bed
One: aesthetics
Two: all the life that lives in it.
Three: the ease of simply stirring the bed one or twice a week to keep it pristine and white. Maybe give it a quick vacuuming once every couple of months is needed.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barebottom because the need for maximum bacteria surface area is grossly overrated. I have no sand. I don’t even have a lot of live rock. I still have zero ammonia and this is with heavy feeding. I’ve never expected sand or live rock to handle nitrates and phosphates. IME, that doesn’t work and I have chaeto to take care of that. Also, sand is terrible in acrylic tanks and it’s a breeding ground for dinos. No thx. Never again.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barebottom for me. Went sand first and fought nutrient issues and I'm anal about keeping it white which doesn't last long unless i stirred it. Messed with my OCD.

Went barebottom and diy cement dry rock next trip. Tank takes a few months to mature, vs sand but my sump is filled with love sand from the ocean and rubble. You'll have some trouble but it soon stabilizes.
It's an easy clean too. I have a wavemaker down low that kicks on at night and moves detritus to the front. One vac in the a.m and done. Plus, no corals get buried in the sand. Bottom is all purple with encrusting stuff placed to fill it out.

C91AF07F-0A57-4287-A1A0-0E11583BF123.jpeg 8ED75883-0AD4-4357-A7EA-07A5744FC04A.jpeg 70114128-CFA9-4B80-A009-A12A08C50771.jpeg 7874D256-01D2-4C2E-A6F7-AEB029CFFA34.jpeg

Calizoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bare bottom I had sand I had aragonite. I now prefer sifted pure black Carib-sea for a true black look

Sunny in Miami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of a soft white deep sand bed with live rock. It gives the aquarium scape the realistic look of a living reef.
The bare bottom doesn't do it for me. I don't like the look of fish suspended between mirrored panes of glass. It's a disturbing feeling. I would think fish would not feel right either.

djsmallz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a tile bottom tank. It provides a nice look, it's easy to maintain and if It becomes overgrown i can always pop the tile out to replace it.

Reefjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not yet explored all the reefs of the world, but never saw a glass bottom on the reef. Is the point of reef keeping to be a lab for experiments, or to recreate a micro version of the natural world in which we live?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand all the way. In fact, getting ready to add more sand this week
do you have any issues doing that , for example does the newly added sand experience anything similar to what you would see during the ugly stage ?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any issues doing that , for example does the newly added sand experience anything similar to what you would see during the ugly stage ?
Not that I’m aware of, however I’ll be honest to the point that this is the first time adding sand to an established tank for me. I’m thinking It may result in a brief algae bloom as any silicates in the sand burn off

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SAND all the way!!!!
I do admire the BB tanks, but I have wrasses and a shrimp gobie. And I love hoe it looks.. It does take time to clean but man it is worth it!
SAND all the way!!!!
Agreed!!!!

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely sand for surface area and to me looks more natural. I like using the special grade sand so I can still run a little higher flow without the sand storm effect.
Agreed!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back