BarSnackz's "Wife Just Gave me the Go Ahead" Build thread!

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R community! Some of y'all may have seen my previous thread about my wife giving me the thumbs up to go ahead and upgrade my 40L to something bigger. Not that I needed her permission but it's kind of hard to sneak a bigger tank into the place of the old one...
Anyways, I had debated what size to go with but ended up settling on going with a 75 or a 90g.
For this tank I decided to go ahead and run a sump as my 40L doesn't have one and I have a bunch of equipment taking up my precious real estate that I barely have enough of anyways. drilling for overflows is my most dreaded thing about this build but we'll climb that mountain when it comes time.

So!

First order of business was making a stand for it. I was looking into the pre-built wooden stands but none of them really stood out to me so I decided on the arduous task of making a steel one.

So stand is all built and ready to have some welds ground flush
tank2.JPG

welds ground, drilled, and almost done being painted
tank3.jpg

Next to come is to add wood for the top and sump area and pick out a tank to put on it!
Thank you for reading so far and stay tuned for more!

Last edited:

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R community! Some of y'all may have seen my previous thread about my wife giving me the thumbs up to go ahead and upgrade my 40L to something bigger. Not that I needed her permission but it's kind of hard to sneak a bigger tank into the place of the old one...
Anyways, I had debated what size to go with but ended up settling on going with a 75 or a 90g.
For this tank I decided to go ahead and run a sump as my 40L doesn't have one and I have a bunch of equipment taking up my precious real estate that I barely have enough of anyways. drilling for overflows is my most dreaded thing about this build but we'll climb that mountain when it comes time.

So!

First order of business was making a stand for it. I was looking into the pre-built wooden stands but none of them really stood out to me so I decided on the arduous task of making a steel one.
I ended up recruiting a buddy of mine I used to work at the shipyard with to help me out on the project for a couple nights after work.... him helping out also allowed me some free time to throw back a couple cold ones! As you can see how unamused he seems at me haha

So stand is all built and ready to have some welds ground flush
tank2.JPG

welds ground, drilled, and almost done being painted
tank3.jpg

Next to come is to add wood for the top and sump area and pick out a tank to put on it!
Thank you for reading so far and stay tuned for more!
Nice! Good luck with the build, stand looks solid ;)

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys. It's been about a month since I last gave an update and I'm very sorry!
There has been a huge change in plans.... went to the LFS and they had some rimless frag tanks in stock that I had only seen online and had been drooling over for months but couldn't see myself paying the astronomical shipping fees for. Well they were a sweet price so i picked one up. Build has been changed to a 60g shallow reef build!
image1a.jpeg

With a new tank footprint incoming I had to make some adjustments to the stand. Steel stand has been salvaged and turned into new legs for my welding table and the new stand was built out of wood.
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Not too much left to do on the stand!

Sump that will be used will be one I ordered a while back when It was on sale and I was saving it for a rainy day. Trigger Systems Ruby 30!
image2.jpeg

More updates soon to come!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image2 - Copy.jpeg

image3 - Copy.jpeg

stand is ready enough to bring inside! All that's left is to paint it and install the sliding front door! It is now time to leak test it.

Filling it up as I type this. I'm going to let it sit for 24 hours to see how it does.
Seeing the tank on the stand, with water in it makes me so pumped and confident in the dimensions that I used for how perfect it is to look at while sitting down and standing over it. I can't wait to see it with some saltwater and rocks in it!

image1 - Copy.jpeg

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it posted two of the same last photo. I keep trying to delete one but it wont allow me. Anyone know how to fix this?

If you can edit the post, select “More Options” then at the bottom delete the extra version of the image. Otherwise, you can ask a moderator.

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image1 - Copy (2).jpeg

Stand was painted and fish, inverts, corals, sand, etc was transferred from the old tank.

image5.jpeg

Couldn't seem to get a good photo on my phone but I will try again tomorrow! Everything is starting to get settled and I'm excited to see how it all turns out. I tried to work with the rocks a bit tonight but couldn't seem to get them into a decent looking formation - oh well, I'll try again another day.
Still getting used to having a sump.... are they all this loud? I fixed the waterfall noise coming from the sump bulkheads by extending the PVC to below the waterline but can't get the waterfall noise to quiet down from the overflow.
Ignore the piece of plywood in the front of the stand - that will be painted and attached in the next couple days!

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back